Clock using 16x24 LED matrix ?

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
odometer

Clock using 16x24 LED matrix ?

Post by odometer »

It seems that Adafruit sells a single-color, 16x24 matrix of LEDs, with a built-in chip to drive it, as product number 555.

I think that this would made a decent (not wonderful, but decent) display for a clock. I am especially glad for the built-in chip to drive the display, so whatever other hardware I use doesn't have to bother itself with multiplexing so many LEDs.

Also, Adafruit sells what ladyada calls "mechanical decade counters"-- not counters, exactly (though you could use them to keep track of rows knitted and the like), but rather 10-position switches good for such things as (I suppose) setting the alarm on a clock. Used thus on a clock, they would also have the advantage that the alarm could be disabled simply by being set to a "bad" time, for example 77:77. This would eliminate the need for a dedicated alarm on/off switch.

All right, ladyada. I would like to use these in an alarm clock as a gift for a family member. What else do I need, and any ideas as to how I can put it all together?

Also, any ideas from anyone on a case? (Ladyada, could I adapt a Monochron case or something? I don't exactly have fabrication facilities at my disposal. Maybe a special order? Or a new kit?)

Why am I doing this? As Sebastian the crab said, "If you want somet'ing done, you've got to do it yourself."

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Clock using 16x24 LED matrix ?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Nice idea. I was thinking along the same lines for a setting mechanism for a kitchen timer.

The Monochron case isn't going to fit. But if your fabrication facilities are limited, there is a lot you can do with just a drill and a nibbler tool. Hammond and others have a good variety of blank cases to start with.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”