Monochron and FTDI Friend Not Playing Nice

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stockpile

Monochron and FTDI Friend Not Playing Nice

Post by stockpile »

Hey there! I finally built my Monochron last month, and I had one of the ones that accidentally came with the 'dali' clock style instead of the 'pong.' My clock came with an FTDI friend, which I've been trying to use to change the clock. I can get the FTDI friend to connect, but it can't seem to find the monochron.hex file in my directory. The connection between the monochron and FTDI friend is pretty tenuous, so is this an issue with a faulty connection (i.e. I'm not holding the pins well enough/ should solder the FTDI pins in place)? Or am I actually pointing to the wrong directory? I don't have a lot of experience with Terminal so it's been kind of touch-and-go. Here's what happens when the FTDI friend makes the connection and can't find monochron.hex:

Code: Select all

Jakes-iMac-8:~ Home$ avrdude -c arduino -p m328p -P /dev/cu.usbserial-A900acGT -b 57600 -U flash:w:~/monochron.hex

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "~/monochron.hex"
avrdude: error opening ~/monochron.hex: No such file or directory
avrdude: input file ~/monochron.hex auto detected as invalid format
avrdude: can't open input file ~/monochron.hex: No such file or directory
avrdude: read from file '~/monochron.hex' failed

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done.  Thank you.
And here's what terminal shows as my directory list:

Jakes-iMac-8:~ Home$ ls
Applications			Movies
Applications (Parallels)	Music
Desktop				Pictures
Documents			Public
Downloads			Sites
Dropbox				avrdude-5.11svn-20111019
Library				monochron.hex

jarchie

Re: Monochron and FTDI Friend Not Playing Nice

Post by jarchie »

I don't have a monochron, but do have some experience with avrdude before. The error you mention seems like the problem is on the software side.

Unix shells usually expand the tilde character to your home directory when used as a prefix for a file name, but in the context of "flash:w:~/monochron.hex" the tilde character is not a prefix, so shell probably cannot recognize the character to expand the file name. If avrdude also does not expand the tilde character--and many programs don't--avrdude is trying to open a file in a directory that is literally named "~", not your home directory. So from your home directory, try

avrdude -c arduino -p m328p -P /dev/cu.usbserial-A900acGT -b 57600 -U flash:w:monochron.hex:i
Failing that, what happens when you do an "ls -l ~/monochron.hex"? If there's an error such as "No such file or directory" it could be that the file name contains whitespace or some other odd character.

Hope that helps.

stockpile

Re: Monochron and FTDI Friend Not Playing Nice

Post by stockpile »

Thanks jarchie! That worked perfectly.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”