Suggestions for Ice Tube Assembly Instructions

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
paulpenn

Suggestions for Ice Tube Assembly Instructions

Post by paulpenn »

I assembled my clock Sunday and got it working, but I found some problems with the instructions. This was the first time I had assembled a kit with on-line instructions, and found the color pictures very helpful.
1. In the instruction to place the high voltage transistor, the same picture is repeated from the previous step. The transistor is not shown.
2. It appears your parts layout mask on the circuit board has changed since the pictures were taken. "C5" is now printed inside the circle where C6 goes. There is no designation for C6, which is now smaller than shown.
3. After placing zener diode D5, there is no instruction to solder and clip before testing.
4. THERE IS NO INSTRUCTION TO PLACE THE MAX 6921 CHIP IN ITS SOCKET! Naturally, my clock did not work when tested, and I thought I had done something wrong. I finally figured out from some pictures and the troubleshooting hints that the chip needed to be installed for the test.
5. Need to add an instruction to unplug the display tube after testing before continuing with assembly.
As I said, I did get the clock working in one session, but it would have been more enjoyable with these changes to the instructions.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Suggestions for Ice Tube Assembly Instructions

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Thank you for the feedback! :D
On the left of each tutorial page - under the index is a link for posting feedback and corrections. If you post feedback there it will go directly to the author.

paulpenn

Post by paulpenn »

Bill;

I didn't find those links you mentioned. Probably my browser. I'd appreciate it if you could forward this to the proper place.

Thanks,

--Paul

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Done! :D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”