Ice Tube Clock - Have beep, 9V on pin 1 of IC3, but failed boost test on D3

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
timcase

Ice Tube Clock - Have beep, 9V on pin 1 of IC3, but failed boost test on D3

Post by timcase »

Hi Adafruit, I'm measuring to verify between 40v and 60v but I'm only seeing 35V on the striped end of D3. I have a beep, I have a steady 9V on IC3 and I have 9V going into D3 (the non-striped end), but only 35V coming out. I checked to see if maybe I put in the wrong diode, but having verified that I didn't installed the zener diode on D3, it looks like the rest of the diodes are all the same. Should I head to the local parts store to try a different diode that will get me up to at least 40 since I measure 9V going into the diode? Or should I test something else?

phild13

Re: Ice Tube Clock - Have beep, 9V on pin 1 of IC3, but failed boost test on D3

Post by phild13 »

With no tube or VFD chip installed, you should measure between 40 and 70v on the striped end of D3. If the VFD chip is installed, you should measure approximately 14-16v at the striped end of D3.

Since you have 9v and a beep means the processor is running (you won't get boost if it is not) then check the component placement & soldering for the boost circuit:

* L1
* Q2 --> make sure this is installed in the correct orientation. It can fit either way, but the bridged pins (side with the two connected pins) should face D3
* D3 installed properly
* C5, C6, C7 Make sure C6 and C7 are installed with the polarity correct. make sure C5 is not polarized, but make sure it is the correct capacitor
* D5 is the 60v zener Check that it is installed properly and not damaged

Check with a fine tooth comb for the usual things like solder bridges (Q2/D3 are connected so that is ok) solder starved or poorly soldered components

The diodes D1-D4 are 60V breakdown Schottky Diodes so if you plan on getting more get those as regular diodes have too much of a forward voltage drop.

If you still have issues, then post good views of the solder side and the component side of the main board.

timcase

Re: Ice Tube Clock - Have beep, 9V on pin 1 of IC3, but failed boost test on D3

Post by timcase »

Hi I want to thank you for your help. I checked the components you listed and it turns out that I hadn't installed c6 and after I installed it, I measured a steady 60v on d3. Perfect. Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”