Hacking a new display into the Timesquare

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
alecwaters

Hacking a new display into the Timesquare

Post by alecwaters »

Hi all,

I'm wondering if it would be possible to hack a new display (LCD/OLED/something pretty) into the Timesquare instead of the 8x8 matrix. I'm thinking that the neatest option would be to physically gut the 8x8, removing the LEDs from the package whilst hopefully preserving the pins that connect to the Timesquare mainboard. Then you'd be able to pop in a new display, connect it up to the residual pins, hack the code to use it, etc etc

I've never chopped up an 8x8 before, and I've no idea what's inside or how easily the existing LEDs will "come out".

Does this sound like a plan worth pursuing?

Many thanks,
alec

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Hacking a new display into the Timesquare

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

alecwaters wrote:Does this sound like a plan worth pursuing?
Really, there's only one way to find out. But I think you'll find that the 8x8 is just a solid block of plastic. You'd probably have better luck removing it entirely, somehow attaching your alternate display to the existing pinout (i.e., power and gnd plus however many data and control lines you need), and then re-writing the firmware.

alecwaters

Re: Hacking a new display into the Timesquare

Post by alecwaters »

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply. The reason I was interested in gutting an 8x8 is because of its physical shape - it clearly fits perfectly into the rubber watch body and by using it I'd not have to think of another way of packing out the space.

I'll have a go, but I suspect you're going to be quite right and it'll be more effort than it's worth.

alec

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”