Chronodot 2.1

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
encker2

Re: Chronodot 2.1

Post by encker2 »

I replaced as many parts as I could previously, in hopes of isolating variables that might be causing this. The parts I swapped out included new sets of jumpers. I also tried moving the ground jumper to one of the other GND pins on the board, again, with no change in the outcome. As for the 7 minute difference in time that macegr asked about, I can't be certain of the reason there is a large elapsed time. However, I think it had more to do with me than the actual attempt. It only takes a few seconds to compile and upload the code, and the computer is not slow to process these requests. To be sure, I used another computer this afternoon and experienced the same results.

For what its worth, I can tell you that the Dot does keep track of time. I can run the sketch here: http://docs.macetech.com/doku.php/chronodot and see a printout of the time as the clock counts in real time. I don't know how to get the time set to my computer time, though.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (3.11 KiB) Viewed 999 times
If the issue is a faulty ground connection and I've tried 2 different GRD pins on the board as well as different jumpers, could the problem be with the Uno or the USB cable? I did NOT try the GND pin on the digital side of the board, so perhaps that is worth a try?

Does it matter which direction on the breadboard that I place the RTC? As long as the pins of the clock are straddling the center of the board, will it work properly?

macegr

Post by macegr »

I would try to manually set some of the time registers, just to see if that works. It could be some strange incompatibility with the computer, compiler version, Arduino version, and those DATE and TIME preprocessor macros.

1chicagodave

Post by 1chicagodave »

I had a hard time getting the time set correctly with my ChronoDot as well. I had similar issue where it was 'keeping' time...but I couldn't set the correct time. It's been a few months so I don't recall all of the particulars. But, I'm pretty sure my workaround involved the following.

I created a copy of the sketch and changed this bit of code...

Code: Select all

if (! RTC.isrunning()) {
    Serial.println("RTC is NOT running!");
    // following line sets the RTC to the date & time this sketch was compiled
    RTC.adjust(DateTime(__DATE__, __TIME__));
}
To this...

Code: Select all

...removing the "if"

Load that sketch and run it. Time was set correctly.
Make sure battery is installed. Then reload original sketch....otherwise it will reset the clock each time it's powered on.
It's been working great for me since.

encker2

Post by encker2 »

Bingo!
New Picture.jpg
New Picture.jpg (15.81 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
That did the trick! Thanks, 1chicagodave!

tony_a

+1 for forcing the time setting

Post by tony_a »

I had the same issue recently with both a Chronodot and with the DS1307 on the data logger shield. In both cases I had to force the time setting by disabling the "if" test. It looks like the test for whether the clock is running might not be completely reliable due to some condition that I didn't see.

1chicagodave

Re: +1 for forcing the time setting

Post by 1chicagodave »

tony_a wrote:I had the same issue recently with both a Chronodot and with the DS1307 on the data logger shield. In both cases I had to force the time setting by disabling the "if" test. It looks like the test for whether the clock is running might not be completely reliable due to some condition that I didn't see.
Glad it worked for you too!

** For anyone else reading this in the future -

Just be sure to add that "if" back in ( or remove the whole chunk of code) after getting the time set properly. Otherwise, every time the sketch starts again (rest Arduino, power cycle, etc…) it will rest the clock to the time the sketch was compiled.

i_can

Post by i_can »

I have this datalogger from adafruit. I have the same problem which was deschribed here.

// uncomment it & upload to set the time, date and start run the RTC!
But i steel see the serial monitor printing:
2165/165/165 165:165:85
since 1970 = 1396827985s = 16166d
now + 7d + 30s: 2014/4/13 23:46:55
Attachments
Datalogger front.jpg
Datalogger front.jpg (763.35 KiB) Viewed 986 times

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Try removing the battery and removing power to completely reset the Chronodot. Then, reinstall the battery and run the sketch again.

i_can

Post by i_can »

It doesnt help. The SD Card works correctly, just the Realtimeclock cannot be synchronized. Can it be a pin problem?

adafruit_support_rick

Could be a signal problem.
Weren't you saying in another thread that you could synch the RTC if you removed your motor shield? What happens then? Does the RTC screw up again when you re-attach the motor shield?

i_can

Post by i_can »

Ok, I think its not a problem of a motorshield. The RTC doesnt work even without the motorshield now. It is differenty behavior of the board.

adafruit_support_rick

It's possible that the RTC is damaged, then. All I can do at this point is to replace the datalogger. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread.

i_can

Post by i_can »

Ok, i think the RTC is not damaged.
The datalogger has a DS1307 RTC. I mesured the voltage on pin 4 ( GND) and Pin 8 (Vcc) of the DS1307. It was 4,93 V. Then i mesured a voltage
On Pin 4 (GND) and Pin 3 ( Batarie voltage), it was 3.7 Volt. So it think the rtc should run.

adafruit_support_rick

I've lost track of this thread. Are you using a Chronodot AND the DataLogger shield? You can't do that, since the Chronodot and the DS1307 both share the same I2C address.

i_can

Post by i_can »

The question was why the RTC cannot be synchronize?
// uncomment it & upload to set the time, date and start run the RTC!
But i still see the serial monitor printing:
2165/165/165 165:165:85
since 1970 = 1396827985s = 16166d
now + 7d + 30s: 2014/4/13 23:46:55[/quote]

and you guessed, that RTC was damaged.
So
adafruit_support_rick wrote:It's possible that the RTC is damaged, then. All I can do at this point is to replace the datalogger. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread.
I think its not damaged.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”