Ice Tube Clock Bad Voltage Booster?

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Zinsane

Ice Tube Clock Bad Voltage Booster?

Post by Zinsane »

Is it possible to get a bad voltage booster chip. It looks like my connections are all good, and my board beeps on boot up. I am only getting .6V off of the booster chip test.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Ice Tube Clock Bad Voltage Booster?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Please post clear,detailed pictures of both sides of your boards

Zinsane

Post by Zinsane »

phild13

Post by phild13 »

You are missing L1 in the boost circuit. Without it there will be no voltage, so install L1and test again.

The boost circuit consists of 7 components:
C5, C6, C7
Q2
L1
D3, D5

The instructions for the boost circuit have you place all the boost components except C5 before testing the boost voltage between the striped end of the diode D3 and the IC3 (regulator) tab.

russell 27

Post by russell 27 »

When you install the MOSFET [Q3], double check mounting. Make sure source and drain pins are not reversed. If your kit came with a ZVP3306A MOSFET, instructions had originally shown reverse mounting, this is very important.

phild13

Post by phild13 »

That is a good point but the boost circuit is not associated with Q3
(the ZVP3306A MOSFET should be installed so the more rounded side matches the boards silk screened profile and not according to the directions. See: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=43209 )

It is clear in the photos posted (1st photo) that L1 is missing. Without L1 there will be nothing to actually make the boost voltage. The rest of the components look to be there correctly and since the processor makes the beep when plugged in so we can assume the processor is running properly generating the pwm for Q2 at this point.

russell 27

Post by russell 27 »

My reference was not to the missing inductor, you already pointed that out. There was an earlier confusion with the MOSFET mounting, and I wanted Zinsane to be aware, hopefully avoiding a very unwanted problem there, later in construction. This forum is supposed to be about helping others. Forum topics have often overlapped.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”