Ice Tube Clock digits not lighting up

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
shrapneL

Ice Tube Clock digits not lighting up

Post by shrapneL »

I've seen other posts about this, and only a small segment is lighting up in the tube. I've gone through all the troubleshooting and haven't found anything that looks suspect.

I also noticed that shorting Q3 did allow the tube to light up completely with all the numbers, and I'm positive that I placed it correctly. I did notice the holes on the board for the leads of Q3 are placed pretty far apart making it a little difficult to place (I had to open the outer legs some).

Pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/Opmjr

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Ice Tube Clock digits not lighting up

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The soldering looks fine. Having to spread the legs a bit on Q3 is normal. I suspect your diagnosis is correct and if you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we can get a replacement Q3 out to you.

As with all MOSFETs, Q3 is very static sensitive. Use extra care in handling. We see many more of these problems in the winter months when static problems are at their peak. You probably don't have a full-blown anti-static workstation, but working on an anti-static surface (the anti-static bags we ship kits & parts in will do in a pinch) and grounding yourself to it before handling any parts is a good precaution.
http://esdsystems.descoindustries.com/P ... edures.pdf

shrapneL

Post by shrapneL »

Okay, thanks for that info, Bill. I'll be sure to keep that in mind when switching it out.

dasbell

Post by dasbell »

I'm having the exact same problem. The tube displays the same single segment. Did the new MOSFET resolve the issue?

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

Dasbell wrote:I'm having the exact same problem. The tube displays the same single segment. Did the new MOSFET resolve the issue?
I can't speak for shrapeneL, but at least three other users have had the exact same problem and a new MOSFET solved it in those cases.

There is a more detailed description of the problem in this thread. The symptoms are different, but the problem is the same. Here's another thread describing your symptoms exactly.

To confirm the problem, it's worth trying to jumper the outer pins of Q3.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”