Manncorp 7700FV

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
blogger

Re: Manncorp 7700FV

Post by blogger »

That would be an equivalent of stopping someone on the street to ask what time it is and having them read off 2 hours worth of Lorem Ipsum.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

not sure what you mean by that comment. we often show problems and repairs we've made on the pick&place on the video. you can also check the wiki, which we update with our troubleshooting

freaklabs

Post by freaklabs »

For people trying to decide whether or not its worth it to buy a pick and place machine, here's my experience on it. Soldering by hand is okay if you're only doing runs of 5-10 boards of fair complexity. This is usually just prototype quantities or people that are building stuff for themselves. If you are doing batch runs of 200+ of the same board, then it may make sense to have it assembled by an outside assembly house. At these quantities, the prices get sort of reasonable so the assembly cost per board drops. The only downside is the turnaround time and shipping off all your components to them.

If you're doing small runs of about 20-200 boards per run, and you are trying to maintain a variety of designs that sell in these low quantities, then you should probably look into a pick and place machine. Soldering by hand, or even hand placing on solder pasted boards, is inefficient and you'll most likely start needing to hire help. This is the area that I'm in where I do batches of about 40-50 boards at a time. The pick and place machine dramatically speeds things up where I can get the surface mount components all placed and reflowed in a single day. The thru hole components require manual assembly so I'm keeping these to a minimum, mostly DC jacks and headers.

I suspect that shops catering to electronics enthusiast communities will start looking more into pick and place machines as they run into the huge gray area between manual and BANNED assembly.

gsattler

Post by gsattler »

Early last week I directly emailed MDC in Japan asking for a quote and they referred me to Manncorp to get a quote. Looks like they have some sort of agreement that Manncorp covers the US market.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Yup, they are the US distributors

gsattler

Post by gsattler »

Just bought a MDC Luna EXP 7722 (Manncorp 7722-FV) from Manncorp. Got a cut tape strip feeder for the front, 10 reels for the back and a tube shaker for the side. I'll be fighting that for a while when it comes it. I'm looking forward to being able to place 0402's and fine pitch parts.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

wow, well now the machine is on the way :) dont forget if you ned 0402 reels they have a special feeder (or you can just lose 50% of the parts. for 5% resistors really it might be OK :)

gsattler

Post by gsattler »

We'll start our learning curve off with 0804's and after we get some experience we can move on to the harder stuff. Its exciting to be getting a P&P machine with top and bottom vision.

gsattler

Post by gsattler »

ralph, we've had lots of success with repeated placement of ADSP-BF561 BGAs on our 7722FV. The important thing to realize is that if you power cycle the machine you will definitely have to recalibrate to the setup all over again to get accurate placement.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hmm what do you mean by that? do you use fiducials? or do you mean the Bias?

isozee

Post by isozee »

Hi! isozee from Tokyo.
adafruit wrote "dont forget if you ned 0402 reels they have a special feeder (or you can just lose 50% of the parts."
MDC machine in DOS age had feature to use standard 4mm pitch tape for 0402 to expose 2 chips and first picks up chip from 2mm offset pocket and no tape advance and then picks up 2nd chip from taught position and advance tape to expose 2 chips and repeat it. This case some chip flip up in pocket may happens but better than 50%.
Is it worth to add such feature for current low cost machine?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Hello Isozee! Welcome to this forum, here we discuss your machine for future customers and also help people. Mr Sattler uses 0402, but we do not, maybe he can tell you whether it is useful. I suppose you can put in 0.5 for index and that would be useful :)

pulsedpower

Post by pulsedpower »

Did you ever try the Astrodyne power supply?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Sadly, no. We have been really swamped with all things adafruity and so we ordered the astrodyne but havent installed it. Part of that is because we have the speed slow enough that we have no emergency stop issues. Since machine speed isnt the bottleneck, it hasn't been a priority. did it solve your problems?

pulsedpower

Post by pulsedpower »

Yes, it works fine with the Astrodyne, but even slowed down we couldn't use the machine with the Lambda power supply. I was just wondering if my fix had worked for anyone else.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”