Table for pick and place

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ktownsend

Table for pick and place

Post by ktownsend »

Given that the pick and place has put a serious squeeze on the budget, I wasn't looking forward to dropping a few hundred euros on a table for it. After a trip to Ikea and a nearby hardware store, I can confidently say you can build a nice, solid table for the mdc 7722FV (80x80cm) for around 50€ and an hour's work.

After looking at every table in Ikea, I was surprised that the cheapest model desert table was also (by far) the most solid. The wooden legs are very substantial, and can easily support the weight of the machine, plus you have room underneath for the pc and some reels. Plus, being wood it's wonderfully DIYable. This is the model I picked up:

http://www.ikea.com/fr/fr/catalog/products/70011793

Since the table is only 50x60cm, I also bought two thick pieces of 40x80cm wood (for an 80x80cm surface), screwed them onto the wooden top, screwed a power bar onto the side of the stand to power everything cleanly and conveniently, and have been happy with the results. Almost no movement on the table when the machine is at full speed, and the two wheels on one side allow me to (carefully!) move the machine if i need to.

Just thought I'd throw that out there if someone else is looking for somewhere to put their machine on a budget.

Rochey

Re: Table for pick and place

Post by Rochey »

ktownsend -

looks fantastic. I just received an ECM93 benchtop pick place, and have the same issue.
The PC and Control box are quite large too... As well as CRT Camera display and PC monitor.

Looking back, would you have used to of these together, with one countertop?

Thanks again

Rochey

ktownsend

Post by ktownsend »

I ended up having to reinforce the wood with a second layer in the opposite direction because it was sagging under the weight, but one table extended to 80x80 is still working well for me a couple years later.

Rochey

Post by Rochey »

I had a good look on Ebay. I think I'm going to get a used Ikea Fredrik Desk.
It's got 2 shelves above the main table to take the computer, control box, monitor and video screen.

ktownsend

Post by ktownsend »

There's a fair amount of wobble when the heads are flying around on this machine. You might want to look at how stable this is with both x and y movement. My guess is 4 legs will be better, but I haven't seen these tables first hand to judge.

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

+1
the inertia on the Y axis of the 7722 is quite important and you'll get some balancing.

The ikea stand with reinforced counter top (thank you ktownsend) does the job, I ended up putting a few L brackets here and there to reinforce it and as I don't have the tube feeders for now, I anchored the whole stand in the wall.

I setup a work station next to the machine stand using a pristine second hand Billy shelf (ikea) I got for 15€ / $20. An old ikea shelve of a deeper cabinet was installed to have the keyboard accessible. The whole thing remains extremely slim.

wmdevices

Post by wmdevices »

I bought a 4'x30" workbench from Grainger. It was quite wobbly, but securing it to the floor with concrete anchors helped. Then I went to home depot, got some threaded rod and turnbuckles to diagonally tension the bench, this has made it completely immovable and there is almost zero wobble. Anchoring and tensioning should work on just about any table using some home made brackets.

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

self note about the diagonal tension as my L brackets aren't enough. Stand is currently not wobbling per say, but as I'll get the stick feeder before the end of the year, I might need to remove my wall anchoring, so that diagonal solution to make the stand sturdier is very nice :idea:

Rochey

Post by Rochey »

I now have hte system up and running, there's a bit of wobble when running at full speed, but it isn't as severe are you'd imaging.

I have the ECM93 on the main shelf, and monitor, PC, Control Box and display on the shelf above. I was initially worried that it'd all come crashing down on the machine. Touch wood, no disasters yet.

/R

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

pics please or it never happened and your system is installed on carboard moving boxes :mrgreen:

seriously, I'm interested to check "visually" your system and setup !

Rochey

Post by Rochey »

HAve a look for my videos at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/expataudio

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

nice ! and glad to see the mech. centering working too !
thanks for sharing !

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”