uSD/transflash socket

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit

uSD/transflash socket

Post by adafruit »

just spent a few hours trying to get a uSD card socket programmed. does anyone have something like this done? the pins are on the inside which is making figuring out vision tough :cry: - its too big for '26' vision and '27' vision only finds 1 corner because the rest are plastic.

http://BANNED.3m.com/mws/mediawebse ... 6E666666--

i was tempted to just put it in with luna vision and hope it places close enough but when using LV=1 the vacuum doesnt pick up the part (oddly, it does when LV=27) there seems to be a shorter wait time from vacuum engage to pick depending on the vision type (???)

ktownsend

Re: uSD/transflash socket

Post by ktownsend »

Have you tried 25 which is semi-manual alignment with bottom vision? Not ideal, but perhaps still better than nothing.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hey so where did you see that in the manual? isozee told me about it but i couldnt find it anywhere :shock:

the parts are so big i'm thinking of just using LV=0 - since its in tape the parts are pretty much <1mm away from center.

ktownsend

Post by ktownsend »

Isono san mentionned that to me in an email ... apparently it's a leftover from the DOS days, though I'm yet to try it out. I've had enough troubles this week already with manual fiducials going out in left field (1 out of 3 times the second fiducial sends the camera way off into the reels), and with the software freezing when the bottom vision doesn't recognize a part, forcing me to shut the machine off, reset the software, and try not to scratch the bottom vision camera pulling the fallen part off with tweezers (cringe). Took me all afternoon to make six 1343 boards and I had to add some parts by hand. :( The machine itself seems quite dependable, but the SW has some definite issues. That said ... it's a lot easier to fix buggy software than bad HW, so I'm still glad I went with the MDC machine versus the alternative (which has better SW but apparently so-so HW).

I'll update the parts table on the wiki later in the week if I can improve some part definitions, and I have a few to add like LQFP64, etc. The connectors seem to be the biggest PITA to define, though. I'm yet to try USB, JST, DC Barrels, and SMT buttons.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hmm, you're using bottom vision a lot - i would suggest sticking to LV=1 if possible. its hella faster and very good for a lot of stuff. like the tantalum you put in the partdef wiki, i got an identical part placing great using LV=1
i can place everything-but-LED* chips and some small transistors using LV=1 and only bring out LV=26 for SOICs and such

*EDIT: I got LEDs workin' today. time to make scrolling LED belt buckles! :D

ktownsend

Post by ktownsend »

I couldn't get the tants working with LV1 but I'll give it another try with your definition.

EDIT: I managed to get it working 'somewhat', but need to improve to defition to place a bit more accurately. I removed the LV26 LED and Tant from the parts definition page, though, and added in QFP64 which I've tested on a number of boards.

ktownsend

Post by ktownsend »

Limor:

Did you manage to get the transflash connectors placed with the PnP? I need to add a usd/transflash connector to some boards, but if you were able to get this one placing properly i'll probably buy the same.

Kevin.

EDIT: You might want to download the updated SW from the MDC website as well. I reported a handful of bugs to Isono that he's fixed with fiducials sometimes sending the head off in left-field, and a few problems that will cause the SW to crash.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”