Goot SD-60 solder

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mojo

Goot SD-60 solder

Post by mojo »

Seeing Lada Ada's page about syringes for SMD made me remember a really useful tip. I spotted some Goot SD-60 solder which is designed for SMD work and decided to give it a try, and I love it!

SD-60 is very liquidy and does not bridge easily. If you try to make a bridge between two pads on matrix board you will struggle. For SMD that is ideal because it won't join adjacent pins on ICs and won't allow things like resistors to float on it like normal 60/40 or lead free solder does. Unfortunately Goot products are hard to find in the west but I'm sure they must be available from somewhere. I have a small stockpile of the stuff.

http://www.goot.co.jp/detail.html?id=211&p=3&c=113

blogger

Re: Goot SD-60 solder

Post by blogger »

I'm using SD-52 myself (lead-free version) and I agree its good. Also whatever flux they have in the core seems to be better than other stuff I've tried.

mojo

Re: Goot SD-60 solder

Post by mojo »

I will have to give their lead free solder a try. In the past when I have tried any lead free variety I have not been very impressed with it, but I imagine now the technology must have improved.

One other thing I find this solder good for is model BANNED rails. Normally when people solder them they end up with a blob of solder on the outside of the rail (inside would cause derailment). Part of this problem is that the rails act as heatsinks and particularly with lead free solder it can be hard to make it bond well. With SD-60 the solder flows easily around the shoe and between the two rails to form an electrically sound joint while not altering the profile of the rail at all.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”