Versatronics pick/place mchine video

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mikeselectricstuff

Versatronics pick/place mchine video

Post by mikeselectricstuff »

Video overview of Versatronics RV4s - might be some ideas for anyone thinking about DIYing a P&P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaqvEftw7aI

brucef

Re: Versatronics pick/place mchine video

Post by brucef »

Nice machine, and well made video too. I watched your SMD hand assembly tips video and I think I need a brain dump now.

I wonder why they didn't try to get 45 degree mirrors both up and down, so they could use just one flying camera for part and fiducial measurements? My two guesses are focal length issues or relative cost of an additional camera vs a bit more custom engineering with the mirrors.

Anyway, I like the arm design they've used. I've been wondering about P&P via robot arm instead of a gantry, so I'm glad to see it's possible. It's probably less expensive to get accuracy out of a gantry than an arm, but where's the fun in that?

mikeselectricstuff

Re: Versatronics pick/place mchine video

Post by mikeselectricstuff »

I think dual-use for the camera would have complicated things, and cameras aren't very expensive so not a major benefit.
Also the flying-camera was a development from the older Rv1s machine which already had the fid cam.
One advantage would have been avoiding the need for correcting for the complex rotation and position offsets between the nozzle and fid cam at different locations due to the elbow angles, however this had already been solved for the earlier machine.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”