Tube Feeder for ECM93

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Rochey

Tube Feeder for ECM93

Post by Rochey »

Hello Folks,

I recently acquired an ECM93 from Manncorp. Great machine, great service, but only has one 16mm feeder. (needed for IC's).
Additional 16mm feeders are $495 each. (OUCH!)
I primarily make audio products, my first product will be a mic pre, where one of the IC's is $7 a peice! That gets expensive in reels, "reel" quick! (Geddit?)
I contacted Manncorp to get hold of a tube/stick feeder - they wanted $1500 for one. (OUCH!)
Hence, I decided that maybe I should DIY my own!

two questions

1 - has anybody already done this? Google turned up squat.
2 - I may set up a production flow for these if people are interested. Please let me know - it'll make the difference between making a proper PCB for control, vs veroboarding a solution :)

mikeselectricstuff

Re: Tube Feeder for ECM93

Post by mikeselectricstuff »

Stick feeders are basically just a platform to place the tubes on with a way to make them vibrate. Shouldn't be hard to improvise something, maybe with a pager motor. You do need a way to adjust the vibration strength, e.g. voltage on a pager motor.

Rochey

Post by Rochey »

mikeselectricstuff wrote:Stick feeders are basically just a platform to place the tubes on with a way to make them vibrate. Shouldn't be hard to improvise something, maybe with a pager motor. You do need a way to adjust the vibration strength, e.g. voltage on a pager motor.
Mike,

I came up with this design:
It allows me to change the angle depending on the device etc.

The pager motor can run up to 5V, so I have a circuit with NE555 timer driving a MMBT2222 NPN to drive it.
(much thanks to the Dallas Robotics group website... it proto'd first time on thru hole, and is now being SMD'd at OSHPARK.com)

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

very nice design, that what I was actually planning, with a bigger rumbling motor under the whole stand.

On which machine is this feeder installed ? I was planning to install something on my MDC to give it a try but I first need to find on which connector grabbing the vibration info. The KPS output is indicated in the manual I just need to trace the signal on the right connector.
Anybody has done that on a 7722 ?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”