MDC Luna EXP 7722FV handbook

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Rochey

Re: MDC Luna EXP 7722FV handbook

Post by Rochey »

Great work!

It's amazing how similar the Windows GUI and the original DOS version (on the ECM93) is!

However, I do have one small, teeny, tiny request... Please put this on a public server somewhere. I've been trying to download this file for China (I'm here on business), and it's slower than a 56kbyte modem!

Maybe google docs or something?

Again, great work. Thank you for your service to the community.

/Rochey

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

My website usually doesn't have DL problems but noted.

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

updated version (minor correction in the tray for placing tall parts and some PDF export issues). Same file name

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

got my PDF link tested in the US, download time 28 seconds = about 750 kB/s, I call it very decent. Bottleneck mentioned above doesn't seem to be on my side, so I'll leave the manual there for now.

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

I keep suggesting new features to MDC, I'm impressed how they coded things. Currently testing a beta with tray building helper feature, auto correcting the pitch error, and tray pocket reviewer.
This will be probably added also to the step and repeat to improve the panel setup accuracy, as measuring the pitch between each PCB isn't easy.

New version of the manual, I've fixed several cross reference errors (revealed by the PDF export). I've also included the install of the vib feeder I've just received yesterday.

http://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/Worksh ... v-2012.pdf

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

new upcoming version, I have a beta to test with a new run of boards this week.

New features :

- tray definition helper. I suggested to MDC that because some tray pocket pitches could be hard to measure with the calipers (especially DIY tray made with tape, you never know on which mech. reference you can place the calipers jaws) it would be nice to have a dedicated teaching mode for the trays. My proposal was fairly simple : teach the #1 pocket as normal, define the repeat and the pitches the best you can, then use a key combo to get to the last pocket, which position is computed using the repeat and the defined pitches. From there, use the cursor to fine tune the last pocket position and validate, pitches are recomputed based on the new position.
- tray pocket review : in addition of the last pocket teaching, a new combo (in tray teaching mode) allows now to review the pockets, which is useful to diagnose a DIY tray issue (lack of tape alignment) or just to find the first populated pocket instead of counting, when you're about to use a partially filled tray for a production

- I also thought this could be applied to PCB data : same, pitches can be hard to measure AND if there's an error on them, the cumulated drift ends causing fiducial search on the last boards of panel, which requires to adjust the pitches until it works, frustrating. Same system is now in the PCB data, same thing, you select step & repeat, define the repeat and pitches then go to the last PCB ref to adjust the position and validate.
I also asked MDC to have the possibility to remove the step and repeat (right now, you need to expand the repeat then delete lines), as well as editing it (currently selecting step & repeat again will start with blank parameter fields and you can't edit what you had before which made pitches editing VERY difficult without noting things on paper, and future reviewing was impossible).

- new vision method : I was placing my SD card socket using the semi auto assisted placement Lv=25 which remained time consuming. I suggested that the part could be placed using only outside edges, finding the bounding box of the parts. At the end it's quite similar to the TQFP placement method for large parts (Lv=27) but instead of finding leads, you just look for the corner of the part. MDC was incredibly quick and prone to give it a try with samples I sent and I can't wait to test this tomorrow ! New part "style" is REC.

I'll post when I have a test made with this new version and when the release is there at MDC website :D

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Really interested in the SD card holder - what part number is that? our system is kindy kludgy :/

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

isono san mentioned you had issues with it and that you might had ended with a semi assisted placement. From what I see, the part you use is at least with the leads outside of the part itself which should allow it to be checked as a connector. Still, I imagine that the smallest lack of accuracy on the orientation of the part would lead to a big offset on the socket itself because the measurement isn't spread on the whole surface of the part but roughly just one one edge (am I correct ?)

in my case, the leads are *inside* the part, therefore mixed with metal and plastic back ground making any vision attempt impossible as you can't visually separate the leads from the rest of the socket. It's a 3M push in push out micro SD.

the new REC method allows to have the whole boundary box / rectangle around the part, so it should end more elegant and accurate :-)

By the way, have you received my shipment ? feel free to PM or email me if you need any details, happy to help as always, if I can, let me know !

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

We tend to hand place microSDs right now or 'blind' place and then adjust - because its so inconsistent with vision. so we'd -love- to try out REC. can you send us the beta? support@adafruit - we'll test it out!

we did get the manual - thanks! its beautiful :)

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

adafruit wrote:We tend to hand place microSDs right now or 'blind' place and then adjust - because its so inconsistent with vision.
no magic then, we're in the same boat. Vision style 25 has been helpful to do the placement so far, to have something done in a single PnP operation but damnit you need to stick at the computer for ages until they are all placed. Mine is on the PCB bottom with generally either no other or just a few parts, so I do the bottoms, bake, then move to the top assembly, so it's little wasted time overall. Still, you take bad habits and start having production "standards" and improved schedule once you have a PnP machine and coming back to hand placement is really a pain.
so we'd -love- to try out REC. can you send us the beta? support@adafruit - we'll test it out!
we did get the manual - thanks! its beautiful :)
oh excellent !
I'll be in touch soon, I need to catch up on production, repairs, and boards upgrades for customer, plus shipping (you probably can't relate :wink: ) so it's one of those crazy weeks. I'm going to give a try to the new version today or tomorrow, then let you know.
Important things to note on that new version : MDC added a new field in the tray definition so that the tray angle could be corrected by the pitches, otherwise you need the tray to be perfectly at 0° (or 90°). I suggest you make a complete backup of your PCB design plus a complete backup of the program folder (to save also constants and other things). I suppose that extra field should not affect too much the tray files but just in case you need to move back to a previous version of the software, you also need to have the files in the original format, in case loading a new tray definition file causes issue (I'm just thinking safe, I believe it's backward compatible).

important question : have you followed the SW upgrade so far ? Which version of the SW do you run ? There was an important change around 2.1.19 (IIRC) for the tray angle definition, I've mentioned it somewhere here or in the expert question thread. I don't want you to ruin your designs and production if you were using the tray angle in a certain way (if you were using 0, you should be fine). Again, freezing your design + program version is a good idea just in case you need to go back.

Time to get the double sided tape to experiment !

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

version 2.1.26 of the software is online, I tested it and it works GREAT !

new feature for the tray : auto calculation of the pitches works the same as presented above, a couple of posts ago, however...

There's now a TILT field in the description of the tray, that allow to compensate for the lack of absolute alignment of the tray on the sliding drawer (especially with large tray or DIY trays, easily subject to skew).

Pitches / tilt auto learn goes like this.

Edit mode (2-2), teaching mode (F8), you go to the first pocket you teach normally. Make sure you have a rough X and Y pitch filled, as well as the tray X-Y repeats.
Press SHIFT+L : it takes you to the end of the first row, where you can adjust the pocket position. This indicates the tray tilt to the software. Press ESC. You're prompt for more SHIFT+L. Do so, you're taken to the last pocket of the tray, adjust it eventually. Press ESC, head returns to the first pocket, computes pitches and tilt, and after a fraction of second, returns to the tray spread sheet. Validate with ENTER, tray is entered.

ktownsend

Post by ktownsend »

I see the machine is indeed in good hands. Great job on the guide ... just had a look at the latest version. Would have loved to have something as useful when I was first getting started with no training on it!

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

taken to the heart :D thanks a lot ! Still have to include those recent updates to the manual.
I'm totally happy and satisfied with the machine, life saver !

Thank you for being my initial teacher and coach on that little beast, made the whole deal even better, despite the fact I failed to lock you in the basement :wink:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”