MDC Luna EXP 7722FV handbook

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vincentp

Re: MDC Luna EXP 7722FV handbook

Post by vincentp »

Corrected close to half of the manual. A few classic typos but a nice bunch of repetitive errors of mine.
self note to ask "adverbs for dummies" for xmas :? :lol:
PDF should be there as promised by the end of the week.

wmdevices

Post by wmdevices »

Vincent,

I'm really excited to look at this manual. I've been using my 7722 for a few months now and it's going well. Still have some crashes and bugs going on and some alignment issues. But I'm fearful of doing anything as I have boards to make and orders to fill.

I'm running software 2.1.17, seems like it's rather dated, I think I saw you're running 2.1.23. Again, hesitant to upgrade for fear of not being able to do anything.

I'll feel much more comfortable when your manual comes out and I can walk myself through upgrading, re-calibrating and all that stuff. I also wonder if my definitions and layouts will translate to the new software properly. I'm sure you've got much of that covered.

Thanks very much for putting so much work in, I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished handbook.

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

I understand, that's one of my warning. Calibrating if you're on a rush for a batch isn't good. I'll be honest with you, calibration (following my step by step instructions) should take you 2 hrs max.
The "collateral damage" of calibration is that you might have to correct some of your placement programs, if you tweaked them to work.
If you didn't modify your programs and you just accepted some offsets because they correct themselves during baking, then you'll have only positive results and benefits from calibrating.
In any case I just suggest to BACKUP at 100% the luna-win directory on your HD. I do have several version of the software in the same directory, the .EXE files being just named differently, that's how I moved progressively. But I snapshot the state of my machine with paranoid massive backups of the "whole thing" including data / placement programs. Just in case.

2.1.23 won't change your part definition. Look at the change log (extract the archive in another directory), it's mostly about bug corrections and a few addition.
The MAJOR change in the placement is the tray orientation angle. See the recent bug corrections (most of those moved the versioning from 2.1.18 to 2.1.23 IIRC).
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 24#p162097

Check that same thread post #11 for the explanation of the new tray angle system (which makes the tray working exactly like the feeders now, for then angle settings). If your trays always had an angle 0°, it won't affect anything in the placement program but if you had some assymmetric TQFP parts in tray, you'll have to double check your program.

I'll get the missing corrections of the manual by monday only (sorry for the delay). It was overall quite fast to apply them to the document, expect the PDF on tuesday. You'll need to free one of your afternoon (or so) to recalibrate the machine. If yours is working already (aside of alignment problems, calibration will be just fine tune. 2 other users here seem to have massive problems but it looks like they have either a lot or 100% of defaults values in their constants.

I would love to see your Posi2 calibration, if you would snapshot and post that (nozzle extender menu, edit mode, posi2, F8). To check what sort of "stroke" depth you have there (it's defines the focus of the head to the bottom camera), to compare with mine and theirs as their setup looks WAY off. Thanks !

bmw330i

Post by bmw330i »

Patiently waiting here for the PDF. Great work Vincent!

bmw330i

Post by bmw330i »

Patiently waiting here for the PDF. Great work Vincent!

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

my friend will give me the final correction on monday (slight delay, she's busy, who isn't ?). Almost there.

wmdevices

Post by wmdevices »

I would love to see your Posi2 calibration, if you would snapshot and post that (nozzle extender menu, edit mode, posi2, F8). To check what sort of "stroke" depth you have there (it's defines the focus of the head to the bottom camera), to compare with mine and theirs as their setup looks WAY off. Thanks !
Will try to do this for you this afternoon. After about 40 more boards I'm done with the run and can upgrade the software and run calibrations.

Really looking forward to the handbook PDF, hopefully I'll have something to add to it as I go through it and perfect my machine.

Thanks!

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

you got mail / PM :wink:

Slight delay in the proof reading (bear with her, busy bee she is), but I got some more corrections this morning, now up to page 123 of 208. I sent a beta version to the few people here who seem in the "urgent" need to calibrate the machine or just move on with it.
Feedback welcome as usual. Keep in mind you'll get headaches but you should be happy with that regardless.

Please post corrections / erroneous things I could I put in there (not typos and such, email me for that if you find really ugly things from page 1 to 123). Anyhow, I'll pass the grammar mistake comb a second time before releasing the document in the wild.

Thanks !

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

added some more in the manual after bmw mentioned he was missing a few details in the calibration process.

I got the final correction on paper today so I'll be making the PDF very soon, then post it !

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

[18-10-2012] update :
THE HANDBOOK IS THERE !

Enjoy ! Feedback welcome

http://tinyurl.com/9twn5vk

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

You might want to attach it here or put it on a a sharing site as your server is down.

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

noted, my provider has a couple of problematic routes with outside of europe (my server is up).

I'll do that in the next hour !

edit : attachment refused (too big ? 11MB ?)

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

do you still have problems to reach my website ?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Nope, all good!

vincentp

Post by vincentp »

excellent !
they have some on going work at the provider's, so the routes are sometime clumsy.

MDC has sent a minor correction about the tray settings, I'll keep correcting things for the upcoming week with their remarks, then upload a new version.
@Adafruit : let me know what you think ! I really hope this can "unveil" some useful details to help with your production. I would check the calibration of the machine if it hasn't been done, it's worth it (well, maybe not now that you have thousands of placement designs entered in the machine :oops: ). My email address is in the PDF or K. T. can provide it to you if needed.
I'm happy to get feedback about this work !
Thanks !

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”