Curse you, micro-USB connectors!

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vputz

Curse you, micro-USB connectors!

Post by vputz »

I just got done with another testing rampage of micro-USB connectors and have to again wonder--is there a better way? I'm using stencils/paste, but I find the micro-USB connectors hard to line up manually, and awfully difficult to rework if something goes wrong. Is there a particular footprint people like better than others, maybe with holes for alignment/strain relief? This is working, but it's far from pretty...

westfw

Re: Curse you, micro-USB connectors!

Post by westfw »

I have some digikey WM17143CT-ND microusb connectors that have enough "pin" on them to self-align pretty nicely. Though I haven't actually tried to solder them yet, they fit pretty well on the PCB. I did have to fudge a bit to get an EAGLE footprint with round holes...

vputz

Re: Curse you, micro-USB connectors!

Post by vputz »

Good suggestion; thanks. I can get them through a couple of vendors as well, so I may do a KiCad footprint and use them on the next revision of the boards. Hopefully that'll reduce the failure rate; I can't afford to rework too many of these by hand!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”