can an oscilloscope be fun for newbies?

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
whiskey

can an oscilloscope be fun for newbies?

Post by whiskey »

So far it seems like it's overkill but I'm really into music and "trippy" things and after seeing Youscope I'm totally excited and want one! :D

Anyways besides from this how much 'real' use can a beginner get out of it? can it be used as a multimeter? or is the learning curve something that takes time to understand?

here's the youtube link of Youscope: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1eNjUgaB-g

alex_dubinsky

Re: can an oscilloscope be fun for newbies?

Post by alex_dubinsky »

That is incredible, but alas no, oscilloscopes generally aren't that much fun.

They do some functions of a multimeter, they are very very useful for figuring out what's wrong in a circuit, and they may or may not be hard to understand (depends on the scope... a good software scope will be easiest to learn of all... an old analog scope with a poor front panel may be frustrating), but I can't say they're fun.

That youtube stuff... it must have been step 1) create trippy graphics on the computer, step 2) figure out how to display them on the oscilloscope. I don't think the scope, itself, contributed to the creation of the visuals.

rct

Post by rct »

From what I've seen introductory electronics text & experiments either assume a very modest set of tools with a digital multi meter being the the biggest item or are aimed at a fully equipped lab such as a in a school setting.

I think there should be some tutorial materials that include the use of low-end scopes, both on how to use the scope and how to learn more using the scope.

The analog to digital converters in PC sound cards can be used as a low end scope with a number of significant limitations. If you stick to the audio range I think there are a lot of experiments you could do that would be very educational. Of course you need to be very careful to avoid not blowing up your sound card and/or pc. Note: the input voltage range being audio is very limited around a volt or two. If you are measuring line level audio sources this usually isn't a problem.

Note: the sound card inputs block D.C. so you can't measure D.C. input, (they are coupled through a capacitor which will block D.C. and only pass the A.C. portion of the signal.)

A USB sound card can be used instead of your PC's sound card input so at least if you blow it, you can replace it more easily than your pc or laptops motherboard. I have a Behringer UCA-202. Electronics Express used to sell a couple of usb sound adapters for students.

If you are on windows download the Zeitnitz oscilloscope software. http://www.zeitnitz.de/Christian/scope_en. If you are on Linux you can use xoscope.

You can use software to generate as a signal generator for some test input signals in the audio range. Use software like Audacity to generate sine waves and other wave forms. The Zeitnitz software has a function generator too. Audacity can be used to show the wave forms of recorded sound files (digital samples of the analog). Also you can generate touch-tones, aka DTMF (two tones) and see the waveforms to see how two signals interact.

You can use the oscilloscope software and a microphone to pick up signals. Try whistling, look at the wave form of anything that can make a relatively pure tone.

If you hold the lead for the sound card input in your hand and set the scope controls right you can see how much AC 60 cycle noise your body is picking up.

Just some ideas. Personally I think there is a market for tutorials, books, videos that would teach a little about electronics, audio, signals, sampling, (a/d conversion) etc. using a PC sound card and some very basic components.

Hope This Helps,
--Rob

rct

Post by rct »

Here's a few Oscilloscope oriented links I've collected:

* Tektronics: The XYZ's of Oscilloscopes
http://www.tek.com/Measurement/App_Notes/XYZs/

A 60 page PDF Primer recommended in a number of places. Direct link:
http://www2.tek.com/cmsreplive/tirep/22 ... 280_EN.pdf

* Colin McCord's Using an Oscilloscope Tutorial (Referenced from ARRL Hand's on Radio experiments)
http://cmccord.co.uk/Radio/oscilloscope.htm

* Picotech What to Look for When Choosing an Oscilloscope PicoTech makes various PC oscilloscopes.
http://www.picotech.com/applications/os ... orial.html

* Parallax Getting Started with the PropScope, Propscope is Parallax's newer $250 USB oscilloscope. I've been looking at as a possible first purchase.
http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downl ... edv1.0.pdf

Here's a guide from a company that makes another USB based oscilloscope to using it with the Radio Shack Electronics Learning Lab, the one that comes with two experiment guides by Forrect Mims. It might give you more of a feel for what you can do with a scope:

http://www.linkinstruments.com/MSO-19%2 ... lement.pdf

Again, hope this helps,
--Rob

whiskey

Post by whiskey »

thanks for sharing the links rct, I just briefly skimmed through them but it looks like I'll have some reading mat'l for work :lol: The one that did catch my eye was the tutorial with the 555 timer in the last link, that's what we need is a total walk through of a famous circuit then a step by step with the scope! hmmmmm maybe we can see a scope walk-though written as well as the arduino button tutorial from Adafruit some time in the future :P

Even though oscilloscopes may be "overkill" for the general hobbyist I still find it pretty cool that you can capture something normally you can't see, and besides it's got buttons and knobs that do things!

mojo

Post by mojo »

I think an oscilloscope was the most important tool I had access to when I was at college studying electronics. Being able to see what is going on and test ideas quickly is of immense value to the student. It's one thing to see a formula on a page and understand it mathematically and another to get a feel for how it works in real life. Transistors are a good example, as well as the timers and oscillators that others have mentioned. I have been getting into radio a little lately and a 'scope is excellent for that too.

If you can get a cheap analogue one then I'd say definitely go for it. It would help if there was more tutorial material available online but you may find that there is some good stuff at your local library. There used to be loads of "projects for oscilloscopes" type books and libraries often still have them.

Of course this all assumes you are interested in analogue electronics. If you are mostly into digital and/or microcontrollers then a logic analyser might be a better initial investment, but if your budget can stretch to it then as I said a basic analogue 'scope is a very valuable learning aid.

michaelgmaloy

Post by michaelgmaloy »

thanx to the links posted here i did manage to get aquainted with an oscilloscope better, because earlier, when i tried to do it on my own, i found meself in real mess!))

:D :D :D :shock: :shock: :shock:
Get Mobile phone signal Booster. I recommend.
Bad cell phone signal Read. http://www.embedds.com/mobile-phone-signal-booster-for-home/.
Last edited by michaelgmaloy on Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

audioman

Post by audioman »

When I first got into electronics, the only test equipment that I had was a Volt Ohm Milliampmeter - analog not digital and a crystal earphone (Mouser PN 25CR060-ROX ). Of course, there were no microcontrollers and computers filled room(s) and had their own airconditioning systems.

When I got my first oscilloscope (Heathkit 5MHz), I really started to learn. I could see circuits fuctioning. I could change things and watch the effect. I learned how to design and troubleshoot better after I got the scope. You still need a multimeter for accurate measurement (especially one with capacitance so you can measure those unmarked surface mount parts) and to this day the crystal earphone can be useful to find problems that even the scope didn't find.

Even though a lot of things are handled in code, eventually you must read a physical quantity (i.e.voltage, current, temperature, pressure, displacement, etc.) and control a physical output (i.e.run motor, heater, led, communicate, etc.) The scope can help you design and troubleshoot problems of noise, defective components, and oscillation. Not to long ago, I was working on a PIC project which I was powering with a commercially available switchable 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9, 12 volt regulated supply. When I ran the PIC from a 3V battery, it worked fine. I could not get it to operate from the supply set to 3V. I checked the output of the supply with a multimeter and it was very close to 3V - well within tolerance. It was not until I connected the oscilloscope to the output of the supply that I discovered that when the supply was turned on its output went above 6V for a short time. I was overvoltaging the PIC and latching the CMOS structure. Even reset did not work. Changing to another supply without the transient took care of the problem.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”