A few questions about Dremel rotary tools

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
urig

A few questions about Dremel rotary tools

Post by urig »

Hi,

I have a few questions about Dremel rotary tools. These are not very common where I live and I've never had a chance to use one before. I'm kind of imagining a rotary tool as an all-in-one miracle tool and I wonder if that extends to the following:

Can a rotary tool be used as a "disk saw" to cut through chains, for example?
Can a rotary tool be used as a drill for drilling into walls? Brick walls? What about concrete?
Can a rotary tool be used to comfortably saw wooden boards and plywood?

Thanks in advance,
urig

adafruit_support_bill

Re: A few questions about Dremel rotary tools

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I have several dremel tools. They range from very small to medium-small tools for light-duty use. They are quite versatile for what they do, but will not stand up to abuse.

With an abrasive wheel, you can cut through chains, bolts etc.

It is good for drilling small diameter holes in wood & plastic. It is OK for drilling in soft metals. I would not use it for brick or concrete. (you would want a heavy-duty hammer-drill for that). The smaller units will drill up to 1/8" (3mm) holes. The larger dremels will take a 1/4" (6mm) bit.

You can cut thin wood or plywood. Probably no more than about 1/4" (6mm).

Agent24

Post by Agent24 »

Rotary tools such as Dremel do have a lot of abilities, as long as you get the right bits, grinding wheels, etc - But as arduwino said they are not really heavy duty.

Drilling into concrete walls etc I would leave to a power drill with the appropriate bit, cutting might be best with an angle grinder and a cutting wheel.

urig

Post by urig »

Thanks very much for your answers. I'll certainly consider buying a Dremel tool even though they're kind of rare hear. And I'll leave the heavy duty concrete drilling for my drill to do :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”