Please recommend PCB cutting system?

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Hamradio2008

Please recommend PCB cutting system?

Post by Hamradio2008 »

Please recommend a hobbiest PCB cutting system, I see there are shears that are sold (quite expensive) also I saw a video on youtube with a small table saw like machine that diced up boards, What do you recommend?

Agent24

Re: Please recommend PCB cutting system?

Post by Agent24 »

I think I've seen that exact same video! If I recall correctly it was an angle-grinder or something mounted underneath.

Looked like the best I've seen, for quick and clean cuts.

So far, I've only used the score-and-snap method. It's slow, but it works. The edges aren't smooth but you can easily clean them up very nicely with a file and get them very good.

audioman

Post by audioman »

I built a sled out of very stable 3/4" plywood that had a runner underneath that fit in the slot in my table saw with some screws fitted in the plywood so that I could clamp the pcb (un-stuffed).

With a high number tooth (60 for 10" blade) carbide blade, the glass epoxy boards were cut easily. Just feed it slowly and wear eye protection, breathing mask, and hearing protection. The boards must be designed to allow for the blade kerf. I was making my own single-sided boards on standard sizes of photosensitized boards.

Sorry I don't have a picture or drawing to offer. I moved and still haven't found everything.

I have pretty much found that it is cheaper to just send out gerbers and get boards made. By the time you purchase all the chemicals and materials, it costs a lot of money.

Agent24

Post by Agent24 »

BANNED wrote:I have pretty much found that it is cheaper to just send out gerbers and get boards made. By the time you purchase all the chemicals and materials, it costs a lot of money.
I guess that depends on what scale you are making boards... for someone like me who will usually only ever make 1 or 2 copies of a particular design the set-up costs and shipping for a board made professionally are too expensive. and of course it takes longer.

If you use the toner-transfer method it will be cheaper as you don't need to worry about pre-sensitized boards and the developer chemical.

mikeselectricstuff

Post by mikeselectricstuff »

Beware of using power saws on fibreglass - the dust is highly abrasive and will in the short term eat up non-carbide blades, and longer term can wreck bearings and guides.

wayneft

Post by wayneft »

http://www.staples.com/Westcott-12-Trim ... plesSearch
I use this from Staples, it's only 60 bucks and it works like a charm!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”