Higher End Hot Air or Iron Recommendations

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Tillin9

Higher End Hot Air or Iron Recommendations

Post by Tillin9 »

Have a new project that involves lots of desoldering and resoldering a number of TSOP RAM and Flash chips on similar 0.5mm spaced chips. Essentially upgrading and extending some embedded systems.

While I know this is all possible to hack together with lower end tools, i.e. a $15 iron, chipquick, a hairdryer, etc. (and I've done things this way in a past life) to reduce the likelihood of damaging expensive components or boards, and save some headache, I was wondering what my options would be on the high end. I normally do a fair amount of less demanding electronic work in general so investing in better tools overall won't be out of the question.

I.e. - would like someone who is more of a professional and has actually used Weller/ Metcal hot stations to weigh in on which models they might suggest. Right now I'm looking at a dedicated hot air like the HCT900 for this. Additionally if this type of disassembly work becomes much easier with a high end iron setup (only have a midrange Hakko clone with temp control right now) please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
- Scott

adafruit

Re: Higher End Hot Air or Iron Recommendations

Post by adafruit »

if you spend more, you will get better heating and more even heating so yeah, spend $ on a nicer hot air and you're less likely to damage your board. you could also try preheating the board in a (IR) toaster oven (NOT to be used for food!)

metcalman

Re: Higher End Hot Air or Iron Recommendations

Post by metcalman »

Tillin9 wrote:Have a new project that involves lots of desoldering and resoldering a number of TSOP RAM and Flash chips on similar 0.5mm spaced chips. Essentially upgrading and extending some embedded systems.

While I know this is all possible to hack together with lower end tools, i.e. a $15 iron, chipquick, a hairdryer, etc. (and I've done things this way in a past life) to reduce the likelihood of damaging expensive components or boards, and save some headache, I was wondering what my options would be on the high end. I normally do a fair amount of less demanding electronic work in general so investing in better tools overall won't be out of the question.

I.e. - would like someone who is more of a professional and has actually used Weller/ Metcal hot stations to weigh in on which models they might suggest. Right now I'm looking at a dedicated hot air like the HCT900 for this. Additionally if this type of disassembly work becomes much easier with a high end iron setup (only have a midrange Hakko clone with temp control right now) please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
- Scott
The HCT-900 and HCT-1000 are both great tools for this application. The HCT-1000 does have built in vacuum pickup which can make it easier for for parts removal. But the 900 and a pair of good mechanical tweezers will work fine.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”