Power Supply Question

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
andyopayne

Power Supply Question

Post by andyopayne »

I recently purchased the Universal regulated wall wart (http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=329) and the 2.1mm female barrel jack (http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=327). When I plug in the power supply and use one of the 6 adapter heads (I chose the one with the blue ring at the tip) I measure the correct amount of voltage on my multimeter. For instance, if I have the power supply set to 12V then I get roughly 11.3V measured by placing the positive multimeter probe inside the tip head and the negative multimeter probe on the outside of the tip head (ground). The problem I'm having is that when I connect the female barrel jack, and try to measure the voltage coming from the two two wires (they're pre-stripped so that it can easily fit into a breadboard)... I don't get anything coming from my multimeter. Even at 12V, I get 0.0 volts coming from the ends of the wire using my multimeter. I would really like to use this as an external power source for the project I'm working on, so I was wondering if anyone could provide me some pointers. Am I just not making good electrical contact between the wall wart adapter and the barrel jack connector? I've tried all of the different adapter heads, and still could not get any measured voltage. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Andy

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Power Supply Question

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Using your multimeter, can you check continuity on the female barrel cable?

andyopayne

Re: Power Supply Question

Post by andyopayne »

Thanks for the fast reply. I just checked for continuity... and surprisingly it was fine (got the little beep)... So, I figured if I was getting continuity, that I should double check and see if I was also getting the proper voltage supply and sure enough... this time I was getting the perfect regulated voltage from each of the leads. I really don't know why it wasn't working last time (because I checked like 3 different times)... but at least this time it seemed to work. Sorry for the confusion.
Cheers,
Andy

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”