Hakko FX-888 buzzing noise

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
x-istence

Hakko FX-888 buzzing noise

Post by x-istence »

I bought an Hakko FX-888 from Adafruit and it is making an audible buzzing noise that is absolutely driving me insane while soldering. It is the base of the unit that is making the noise and it clearly goes away when I turn it off. I've tried taking it to work and plugging it in there and I get the same buzzing noise, nor changing circuits anywhere in my house helps (thinking it may have been an RF noise issue).

Is this normal? Is anyone else's soldering iron buzzing? Should I be concerned?

adafruit

Re: Hakko FX-888 buzzing noise

Post by adafruit »

does it buzz differently depending on temperature?

jftheoret

Post by jftheoret »

X-Istence wrote:Is anyone else's soldering iron buzzing?
Well, I can tell you mine is totally quiet.

I sometimes have to look at the ON OFF switch to know if it's on (when the LED is not indicating heating) it is so quiet (and I have very sensitive ears to high frequencies...).

Does it buzz without the soldering iron plugged?

Mine has rubber feet underneath. Are yours there?

P.S. Here is an image of the "innards" if you don't have it. Maybe something's loose?

x-istence

Post by x-istence »

It buzzes all of the time, it doesn't matter if it is up to temp or not...

I really don't want to take it apart, I just recently purchased it. Yes it still buzzes even with the soldering iron plugged in, and yes it is standing on rubber feet.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we've never seen this so we're not sure what it is...have you tried calling hakko? if they cant help you, post here again and we'll get you some sort of replacement

x-istence

Post by x-istence »

I will give Hakko a call and see what they say. Will post back here when I know what's going on.

evanw

Post by evanw »

I'm having the same problem did you ever get it sorted out?

*edit*

Took it apart it's quiet without the case.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Took it apart it's quiet without the case.
Try putting it back together and carefully snugging down all the screws. Don't tighten them to the point of stripping them - just snug enough to be sure nothing is loose.

blind-summit

Post by blind-summit »

I bought the same model from an authorised dealer in the UK - the silver version ;) and it also makes a slight mains hum noise. I'm not too fussed about it, but I may try you suggestion of tightening things down a little. The rubber feet should take care of most of the vibration anyway.

Agent24

Post by Agent24 »

I would guess with X-Istence's station it's the transformer or something physically connected or next to the transformer doing it, since 1) it happens all the time and 2) it's a buzzing noise, which is what you get with something at mains frequency (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_hum#Tone)

Easiest way to check would be to open the thing, power it up, and hold something against the transformer, see if it changes the buzzing tone and if you can feel it vibrating.

Make sure you don't touch any mains wiring, fuse holder, switch contacts etc. If you're uncomfortable with avoiding that, don't do it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”