Interested in your experiences teaching soldering and basic 'tronics

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
easternstargeek

Interested in your experiences teaching soldering and basic 'tronics

Post by easternstargeek »

Hey, everyone-

I am in the process of proposing an introductory soldering class to a local community center in my town. This center serves primarily urban kids from a nearby housing project, and they already have a number of after-school programs like arts and crafts classes, and sports- but no technology. I figure a soldering class would not only be fun, but potentially very empowering. There are very few engineers in this town, and none that I know of are doing much to popularize science and technology.

I would like to teach this class, and I figure I could probably manage OK with a class size of about a dozen kids. The task I am facing right now is estimating a budget for something like this. I've seen a number of kits out there that include a cheap iron, a basic tool or two, and some kind of blinky thing to put together.

I would love to hear from anyone who has ever conducted a soldering class to share their experiences- everything from which kits are a good value for the money, and which ones are stinko, to any other issues you may have encountered. I will attempt to write a grant for this, but even if I get nowhere, I'm gonna do it anyway- even if I have to put up my own money.

Many thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”