Ladyada's $100.00 toolkit

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jbarntt

Ladyada's $100.00 toolkit

Post by jbarntt »

I'm a beginner, so I bought this and I think it is a good value.

The soldering iron works well for through the hole work. I practiced with cheap resistors, maybe a dozen. The stand is light weight and the power cord is stiff, which tends to make the tip to touch the coiled springs, which acts as a heat sink. I changed to using a box of baking soda to rest the iron so that it would heat up properly. I turned the heat control on the iron to the one o'clock position, and got good results with the supplied 60/40 solder.

The vise is very good, for small boards. It is stable, and the controls are very smooth.

The multi-meter works well, but the instruction booklet is worthless. Ladyada's tutorial will get a beginner going; it did for me.

I expect to move up to a temperature controlled soldering station, perhaps the Hakko or the Aoyue, but for a beginner I think it is good to wrestle with a simple iron. You learn something by doing so.

Agent24

Re: Ladyada's $100.00 toolkit

Post by Agent24 »

I learned with a basic iron and used it for several years, if you're doing simple (through hole) stuff, you should be fine.

I find the large array of different tips more useful on my station than temperature control, which I have set to 370°C (same as my old basic iron) and haven't changed since.

Enohp

Post by Enohp »

I'm on this link http://www.ladyada.net/library/equipt/kits.html and I can't find where to order. I know I need to buy them through elexp.com but that site is pretty terrible in terms of navigation. I can't find these "kits" that they offer. I can find each piece individually, but they're more expensive individually than in the kit.

Am I doing something wrong? I want the $100 dollar kit, but this speed bump is turning more into a road block.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Elexp changes their offerings from time to time and may not offer that precise selection. They do have a "kits" page.
Also since that list was put together, Adafruit has added many excellent quality tools to the store here.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”