wire wrap wire insulation stripper

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wa7iut

wire wrap wire insulation stripper

Post by wa7iut »

wire wrap wire is a nice size for lots of applications, especially fixing goofs on a new PCB design. The problem I have is getting the insulation off without nicking the wire (which causes the wire to eventually break). What is the best tool to strip the insulation without nicking? I'm willing to pay reasonable $'s as I'm a tool junkie.

Thanks in advance!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: wire wrap wire insulation stripper

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The strippers built into a manual wire-wrap tool do a pretty good job. The un-marked notch closest to the tip of the Midnight Hacker works too.

wa7iut

Post by wa7iut »

Thanks, I was actually looking for a manual solution so this is good. Are all the manual tools created equal? When I was a kid I could strip 22 gauge telephone wire with my teeth.

adafruit_support_bill

Are all the manual tools created equal?
Probably not. I bought mine a long time ago. It has an aluminum shaft with a stripper blade in the middle. The last time I looked, all the ones in the local electronics store had plastic handles.

wa7iut

Post by wa7iut »

Well I have some good news then. I just purchased for $6.50 an all metal wire wrap tool that looks like a jeweler's screwdriver that has a brass handled stripping tool hidden inside the handle of the wire wrapping too. The cutting blade is even held on to the brass handle with a small Phillips flat head screw. It looks pretty well made actually. Radio Shack P/N 276-1570. Was only a couple of feet away from the Arduino and Parallax gear. Picked up a copy of Massimo Banzi's "Getting Started with Arduino" book. Although I'm heavily invested in ARM and NXP MCU's, I think I'll give Arduino a try. Is he associated with the Banzi Institute or related in any way to Buckaroo Banzi? :)

adafruit_support_bill

Thanks for the follow up. Sounds like Radio Shack is getting serious about electronics hobbyists again. :D

lyndon

Post by lyndon »

It's a really well made tool. Believe it or not, I've been using mine for almost 20 years.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”