Good Beginner Soldering Station?

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
serowman

Good Beginner Soldering Station?

Post by serowman »

Hello, I'm looking to into some electronics. I'm looking for a soldering station but I don't quite want to spend as much as a Hakko fx-888 or similar Weller. Are there any good soldering stations that are cheaper than this?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Good Beginner Soldering Station?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There are 'cheaper' ones. But you generally get what you pay for. We feel that the models we carry in the store are a good value. For just starting out, the 30w iron and soldering iron stand are a good combination. I keep one in my tool bag for when I need to do some soldering on-site.

serowman

Post by serowman »

What differences would I see between the 30w Iron and a Hakko fx-888? When I get better at soldering will I be wishimg I had a higher quality iron?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

When I get better at soldering will I be wishimg I had a higher quality iron?
Yes, that's why the Hakko and Weller are recommended. They will last you for years and I have not needed more (although I would like a Metcal or JBC when I get rich and can buy things just for fun)

HughJohnson

Post by HughJohnson »

I thought soldering was hard and I was very bad at it until I got a Hakko, I think having a good tool improved my skill dramatically.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

As others have indicated, the higher-power - temperature controlled irons are nicer to use - especially as you get more experience and start working faster. Lower powered irons often require you to pause as they come back up to temperature.

Agent_24

Post by Agent_24 »

serowman wrote:What differences would I see between the 30w Iron and a Hakko fx-888?
I found there was nothing much wrong with a good quality basic iron for general (through hole) work.
I used one for years and so for me it's not so much about the performance but other things.

A much larger selection of tips, for example, is a good reason why I like my soldering station.

Another is a better stand for the iron, and the iron has a thinner and lighter power cord, which makes it easier to move around etc.

If you think you're going to really get into electronics, you might as well just get a good station. Then you don't have to buy things twice, and you've got a nice piece of equipment from day 1.

That said, my old iron does come in handy, if I want to work on something that can't be brought to the bench or when I'm at a friend's house etc.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”