leaded solder

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
davidh

leaded solder

Post by davidh »

HI,

As far as home electronic projects go, does it matter if I use leaded solder?

Thanks
David

adafruit_support_bill

Re: leaded solder

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Not really. If you are not licking your fingers and sniffing the fumes, your lead exposure is minimal. The main aim of the industry move to lead-free is the tons of solder that finds its way into landfills from discarded consumer electronics.

TBayBoy

Post by TBayBoy »

adafruit_support wrote:If you are not licking your fingers and sniffing the fumes
Those were the only things I had left to look forward to ;)

Agent_24

Post by Agent_24 »

Tin\Lead solder is a better choice. It's easier to work with and creates more reliable joints anyway.

mikeselectricstuff

Post by mikeselectricstuff »

Another reason to avoid leadfree is that the fumes from the flux in leadfree are typically nastier than leaded.

kscharf

Post by kscharf »

IIRC lead free solder has a higher melting point than the leaded kind. While lead free parts are designed to handle the higher soldering temperature, some things are safer to install at lower temperatures such as LEDS. I've seen too many LED's destroyed by over heating during soldering.

electronbee

Post by electronbee »

There are different factors to take into account when soldering leaded or lead-free: alloy, temp, and flux.

Any ways, I found a decent article awhile back that goes over different lead-free alloys, etc etc. There is a bit of corporate spiel in the beginning but the knowledge is really good and the uninitiated will get a firm understanding of the concepts. There are associated papers after the initial article which provide even more info for those who wish to geek out.

http://www.psma.com/ul_files/forums/lea ... _guide.pdf

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”