"recommended basic soldering iron and where to buy" outside of USA

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
zvika

"recommended basic soldering iron and where to buy" outside of USA

Post by zvika »

Hi.

I've ordered the "Minty Boost" kit, and until it will be delivered I want to buy the tools.
I'm new to the world of soldering, and therefore need your advice...

You've recommended this model "Xytronic SUPERPASE 258VL", and warned that "A low quality (ahem, $10 model from radioshack) iron may cause more problems than its worth!"

I live in Israel. Local Googling doesn't return any results for "Xytronic SUPERPASE 258VL", so it seems to be not available here. Ordering it from abroad, doesn't make sense since it's supposed to be something simple and generic...

Looking in Israeli shopping site, such as this http://www.zap.co.il/models.aspx?sog=h- ... erby=price I couldn't comprehend what's "too cheap" and what's a good iron in reasonable price.

Can you please take a look at this list?
I'd like to buy the cheapest one that would not "cause more problems than its worth!"
(dividing the price in Israeli Shekels by 3.9 gives the price in US$)

Thanks in advance!
Zvika

adafruit_support_bill

Re: "recommended basic soldering iron and where to buy" outside of USA

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I can't read all the specs on those irons. But it looks like a reasonable selection. For basic work, I'd choose something in the 30-40 watt range with interchangeable tips. You will want a fairly fine conical or chisel tip for most kit assembly work. You will also want a stand to hold the hot iron and a cleaning sponge. I prefer the brass-wool style cleaning sponged.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”