ET-1700 Multimeter

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ske

ET-1700 Multimeter

Post by ske »

This really isn't a technical question, but I am posting this here because I don't see any other means of contacting Adafruit about this. Please let me know if I should use another means of getting info on this.

About 2 months ago I ordered and received the $25 multi meter, labeled, ET-1700. I can't really state the brand name as it is labeled using one of those fancy fonts that nobody can really understand (Minipa?).

I went to use it for the first time today to simply test continuity/resistance of a SECO-LARM garage door magnetic sensor - but I never got that far.

Out of 40 years of habit, I turned the dial from OFF to the resistance/diode-check. The LCD screen lit up, I assumed all was fine. I did not study the character output but the larger digit(s) did read 0. I touched the meter leads together, and expected a beep/buzz, but I heard nothing. I looked at the screen and opened the leads and touched them again, and nothing changed, still a 0 on the LCD. Out of habit, I turned the dial to OFF and then back to the resistance test and after about 5 more seconds, the screen went dead. I really can't say what else the screen was showing because it went dead before I could look at the details. The larger digits were showing 0, but I am not sure about the other smaller characters that did appear. The screen wasn't gibberish, it was just static, and then went dead.

This would seem like a battery issue, as a resistance/continuity test is about as simple as it can get. Is it common for these items to ship with dead batteries? I will open it up and check and change the battery, if that doesn't work I will toss it. I just want to get some input before I open it up.

Thanks

Steve

adafruit_support_bill

Re: ET-1700 Multimeter

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

We haven't had any reports of problems with these. If it doesn't respond to a fresh set of LR44's, please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement.

ske

Post by ske »

I pulled out the two batteries and one read 1.56v and the other is totally shorted. So I will replace them and all should be fine. I will follow up otherwise.

Thanks!

coool12

Post by coool12 »

I just received my amplifier board on order 195429. Because other users have had some trouble, I inspected the solder job around the chip. I find one pin bent towards it's neighbor and both soldered together. On the other side, there is a solder ball between two pins and another appears unsoldered. I have not added the headers are powered it up.

adafruit_support_bill

@cool12 - Could you start another thread for this please? This thread is about multimeters.
In your post, please specify which amplifier you are referring to.

scott216

Post by scott216 »

I brought two of these ET-1700 multimeters and they seem pretty nice, but they really go through batteries. I have to change them every couple of months. I probably use the multipeter one or two ours a month. I also have an Ideal pocket multimeter that I've had for a couple years and never had to change the batteries. And the batteries are a little tricky to change on the ET-1700. You don't just remove a cover an pop 2 batteries in. You have to remove the whole case and the batteries don't want to stay put while putting things back together. I like the features of this multimeter, but I wish the batteries lasted longer.

adafruit_support_bill

You can use SR44's instead of the LR44's. They are a little more expensive, but have a flatter discharge curve and will last longer.

yehnan

Post by yehnan »

I bought ET-1700 multimeter. But it doesn't show anything on screen. After checking, one of the two LR44 batteries is dead.

The correct orientation of the two LR44 batteries is not clear. After trial and error, I found:
The two battery slots inside,
the right slot marked as B+, the anode of battery(etched some letters) should contact the spring.
the left slot marked as B-, the cathode of battery should contact the spring.

prussia

Post by prussia »

Thanks for the post. I had the same issue. Problem is I finally bought a 50 pack of batteries got them in the same order and now the screen flickers for a second (when i turn it on) and that's it. Fuse looks ok so no idea. I haven't used any voltages greater then 5 or amps greater then .500 so far.. any thoughts..

adafruit_support_bill

@prussia - when did you purchase the meter?

prussia

Post by prussia »

a while ago. My order says jan 23 2013 but it's the first time i've had to change batteries.

adafruit_support_bill

My order says jan 23 2013 but it's the first time i've had to change batteries.
So, it has been working fine up until now? Make sure that the new batteries are good. I've had mixed results from some of the online bulk battery vendors.

prussia

Post by prussia »

I've tried 3 sets and a friend's voltmeter.. still nada..

adafruit_support_bill

Hmmm. The brief flashing of the display is consistent with a flat battery. Are you sure you have them installed the right way?
the right slot marked as B+, the anode of battery(etched some letters) should contact the spring.
the left slot marked as B-, the cathode of battery should contact the spring.

prussia

Post by prussia »

yep.. three times in a row. i figured pretty quickly the labelings were wrong.. but now I just did a 4th battery pair and same old. I don't have any 1.5v power supplies to try though

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”