broken multimeter

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bionary

broken multimeter

Post by bionary »

Just purchased an arduino starter kit and a bunch of tools for beginners and here I am 4 hours later pulling my hear out. I started going through the tutorial: http://learn.adafruit.com/multimeters/continuity
I thought I was simply not getting it, but i believe my multimeter to be faulty (MAS830). It actually seems defective in many ways, first off the continuity test simply rings that tone without even touching probes it just rings and rings no matter what. Then I read in the tutorial that "Low batteries can make your multimeter wonky" so I tried changing the battery, upon doing that I realized the screws to board are stripped completely and the internal battery wire looked marked up. I get the feeling this multimeter may not be new, something is fishy - either way I am now certain that this meter doesn't work. Just for good measure I compared some simple 100ohm and 10komh resistance tests against an analog unit i had confirming this.

What to do?

adafruit

Re: broken multimeter

Post by adafruit »

thats strange - in continuity test it just beeps all the time? lets try replacing it - email support@adafruit with a link to this thread and they'll get you a replacement!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”