XYTronic soldering iron

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jonsleepy

XYTronic soldering iron

Post by jonsleepy »

Hi,
I bought a Mintyboost kit for my first project. I started with a Radio Shack 25 watt soldering iron. It takes a long time to melt my lead-free solder, and the tip is big so I soldered two components together by mistake.

I want to buy a "better" iron, and I'm inclined to take your recommendation and purchase the XYTronic one from you, but I can't find much information about tips...

Many folks on the web seem impressed with Weller irons, but they're at least 2x the cost of the XYTronic.. but if I went that way, I could buy the "ST7" tip and the reviews make it seem all would be right with my Mintyboost project.

Is the XYTronic's tips suitable for a range of projects, including Mintyboost? Where could I buy changeable tips?

Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: XYTronic soldering iron

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The Xytronic is a good step up from the standard pencil iron and suitable for most through-hole soldering projects. Newark carries replacement tips.

Lead-free is a little fussier to work with and a higher-powered, temperature-controlled iron will help keep the tip temperature in the working range. I have several Weller irons (WES51 & WESD51) and love them. The Hakko we carry in the store is also highly regarded.

jonsleepy

Re: XYTronic soldering iron

Post by jonsleepy »

Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”