Aluminum USB Microscope Issues with Mac

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
iitgrad

Aluminum USB Microscope Issues with Mac

Post by iitgrad »

I just received the my Aluminum USB Microscope and installed the MicroCapture software provided in the link on the Adafruit product page. The microscope light comes on when I plug in the microscope to my Mac's USB port but I only get a black image rather than what the microscope is viewing. The software does not complain that it cannot see the scope although it doesn't complain if the scope is not plugged in either. I am running Max OS X Lion. I also tried on another Max running Snow Leopard and got the same behavior. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Aluminum USB Microscope Issues with Mac

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Hi - there are two versions of the MicroCapture app. Unfortunately, I think they got mixed up on the product pages. :oops:
For the aluminum microscope, I think you need the 2.5 version, which you can download here:
http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/MicrocaptureV2.5.zip

The 2.5 version should work both with the aluminum PID 1061 and with the 5.0 megapixel, PID 636

iitgrad

Post by iitgrad »

Awesome, thanks. I'll give it a try tonight.

iitgrad

Post by iitgrad »

This new version gives me a solid purple square but says that the Microscope is not connected to a USB port when in fact it is. I tried several combinations and unplugging and replugging in the microscope before and after the software was started all with the same affect. It appears that it never sees the microscope.

adafruit_support_rick

Some things to try:
- smaller preview window size (in preferences)
- different USB port on the computer
- connect through a USB hub.

Also, look in the MacOS System Report (available through 'About this Mac...'). See if your microscope shows up anywhere in the USB device list.

iitgrad

Post by iitgrad »

Ok, I did the "About This Mac" and then "More Info", then "System Report". Clicked on Hardware USB and it shows a USB 2.0 Camera along with my Facetime HD Camera when the scope is plugged in. That camera doesn't show in the list when it is not plugged into a USB port so that must be the microscope it is seeing. I tried both USB ports with no avail with the software. It just simply says "No Device Connected, please connect your Microscope directly to your USB port". I tried various preview sizes even the lowest 160x120 and nothing.

adafruit_support_rick

Sorry for the trouble. Please contact [email protected] to arrange for a replacement. Please reference this thread and include you original order number.

iitgrad

Post by iitgrad »

will do. thanks for the help! :-)

iitgrad

Post by iitgrad »

Unfortunately the 2nd scope behaves exactly like the first so it must be a software issue on the mac. any other ideas? Do you guys have the scope working using a Mac with OS X Lion? I'm currently at 10.8.2.

adafruit_support_rick

iitgrad wrote:Do you guys have the scope working using a Mac with OS X Lion? I'm currently at 10.8.2.
Ah - 10.8.2 is Mountain Lion. I'm still running Lion 10.7.5, and the scope works fine. I'll see if somebody here is running 10.8 and can check it out

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

iitgrad wrote:Unfortunately the 2nd scope behaves exactly like the first so it must be a software issue on the mac. any other ideas? Do you guys have the scope working using a Mac with OS X Lion? I'm currently at 10.8.2.
we test all of these on the latest version on mac os x - we're on 10.8.2 and it works, please contact [email protected] and return the scope(s) for a refund. it's likely something on your system, when we get both back we'll plug in, test and send you screenshots of them working - and of course issue a refund.

thanks,
adafruit support, phil

techstep

Post by techstep »

I hope this is not hijacking...

But, I want to mention that I have the exact same issue with the 1061. Neither app will detect the microscope, though facetime will. I have to use a VM of Windows. When used in Windows the software/microscope work fine. So, I believe the issue is a hardware/software combo that you guys are not testing there. I have a mid 2010 i5 Macbook Pro 15" on OSX 10.7.5 and a mid 2009 Macbook Pro 13" on OSX 10.8.2 and neither work with the supplied software (either versions). But, they do work in Windows. So, there has to be an unknown element involved. I went directly to Veho and tried all their versions as well... but, those do not work either.

Can someone please look into this? Having to install Windows to use it is complicated and irritating. :D

adafruit_support_rick

We posted a new version of the mac software back at the end of December. Is that the version you're using?

techstep

Post by techstep »

Yes, I tested with the original software, the 2.5v, and the new one. I tested with a third party "web cam recorder" called "Quickier" in the App Store, and it works but the camera is sideways. It has to be software related as far as I can tell. Possibly a combination of specific hardware, but since it works with third party tools I don't see how.

adafruit_support_rick

Hmmm ... I'm at a loss to explain the problems you're having. I don't have the 1061 - I've got the 636, but the mac software is the same. I have it running on a late 2009 27" iMac Core i5 with 10.7.5, and on an Early 2008 MBP 17" with a Core 2 Duo, also with 10.7.5. LadyAda has also tested it out with 10.8.2 (not sure what kind of machines). The iMac has a Radeon GPU and the MBP a GeForce.

What does System Report - Hardware - USB show for your scope? Can you paste that here? I wonder if there's some hardware change that might explain this?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”