USB Microscope - 5.0 Megapixel / 220x magnification / 8 LEDs - ID: 636

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rashipa

USB Microscope - 5.0 Megapixel / 220x magnification / 8 LEDs - ID: 636

Post by rashipa »

Hello,

could you please advise what exact model this is? I understand from another post that the manual in the download package is for an older model.
However, I can't find a 5MP USB microscope on the Veho website, only a 2MP model. So which one is it?

https://www.adafruit.com/products/636

Thanks.

adafruit

Re: USB Microscope - 5.0 Megapixel / 220x magnification / 8 LEDs - ID: 636

Post by adafruit »

they may not list all products on their site, ours is the 5mp model.

thanks,
adafruit support

robertkb

Post by robertkb »

I just purchased the "black" USB microscope (item 636), and downloaded the software MicroCapture v 2.5 from the associated product page on your website.

I am trying to use it on a MacBook Pro running Lion (10.7.5).

When I plug in the device, the LEDs come on, but when I click on the app icon, the icon bounces up and down in the dock for a while, then stops. Nothing else happens.

The camera does show up in the system report as a USB device:

Product ID: 0x3420
Vendor ID: 0x0ac8 (Z-Star Microelectronics Corporation)
Version: 1.00
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Vimicro Corp.
Location ID: 0xfa130000 / 6
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 128

Also, I can access the camera via PhotoBooth and see an image, so this does not seem to be a hardware issue. However, I have no control over the camera settings this way.

It there a newer or more correct version of the software available? The CD that came in the box is the "mini" type that I cannot use in my Mac.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

MicroCapture 2.5 is the only app we have. It works for me with the black microscope under MacOSX 10.7.5., so I'm not sure what the problem could be on your end. Have you got a lot of other stuff running on the Mac? Perhaps it's some kind of memory issue?

robertkb

Post by robertkb »

There is nothing else running; I doubt that it's a memory issue (machine has 8 GB). I have restarted the machine, but the app behaves the same way (looks like it is about to start up, then quits).

If I cannot get this to work, can I return this item?

adafruit_support_rick

Yes - you can return it. Email [email protected] with a link to this thread and ask for a refund.

However, I managed to find a different version of the app. Not sure what the difference is - they both say "Version 2M" in the Info pane. But the apps have different sizes, and the main window is a different color.

Give it a try.
Attachments
MicroCapture.app.zip
(412.61 KiB) Downloaded 243 times

robertkb

Post by robertkb »

Thank you. Before seeing your reply I tried running the Windows version on a machine with XP/SP3. It runs but the feed from the microscope freezes after a few seconds. I then loaded the new OSX app that you posted and it behaved the same way. This seems to be consistent with other postings about this camera that I have since reviewed, so I have decided to return it for a refund.

Thanks again for your help.

duffj

Post by duffj »

I have a new 5MP digital microscope which is supposed to focus upto 220X but it either focuses on 10X or 165X only and only when it is right on top of the specimen. Other sub digital miscroscopes that I have seen in use you can actually use them well above what you are trying to look at and also adjust the zoom to focus in on the specimen also. why is my one so different expecially as it is twice as expensive?

Cheers
John

adafruit_support_rick

John -
To get to 220x, you have to use the shorter plastic lens guard. Mine focuses at 220x with the guard about 1cm above the target.

The focal range is a function of the optics. I haven't seen any other microscopes that allow long-distance focusing, so I can't comment on that.

If you are not satisfied, please feel free to email [email protected] with a link to this thread and ask to return the microscope for a refund

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”