Ratcheting Crimper Pliers vs Universal Micro Crimping Pliers PA-09

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ipsissimusmarr

Ratcheting Crimper Pliers vs Universal Micro Crimping Pliers PA-09

Post by ipsissimusmarr »

After accepting that I need quality crimpers I was finally ready to spend $60 on the Universal Micro Crimping Pliers - PA-09. But I have been waiting for many weeks and they are still out of stock.

Today I noticed Ratcheting Crimper Pliers - #18-28 AWG for only $35. Does anyone know how these two compare? From searching for the SN-28B model I found that it crimps in one step, unlike the 2 needed for the PA-09? But I also saw images of crimps from the SN-28B that looked like it caused the crimp metal to bite too deeply into the insulation of the wire. The JST pdf cautitoins against this Check points for perfect crimping.

Can anyone compare crimping quality between these two products from personal experience? I have no problem paying more for a better product! I am still holding out for Adafruit to restock the PA-09, I don't want to spend my money for them at a different retailer.

Also available is the Universal Crimping Pliers - PA-21, but since I figured I'd crimp more of the smaller wires I was holding out for the PA-09. There is also another ratcheting crimper Deluxe Crimping Tool from Hansen Hobbies, has only 2 crimp points.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Ratcheting Crimper Pliers vs Universal Micro Crimping Pliers PA-09

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The PA-09 covers a wider range of extra-teeny sizes, but only goes up to 20AWG. The ratcheting crimpers go up to 18AWG if that is important to you. In general, the ratcheting style tend to give you a more repeatable crimp, which is why they are used in industry. For non-production use, the ratcheting feature can sometimes be a handy 'third-hand' to hold the connector in place while you wrestle with an unruly wiring harness.

ipsissimusmarr

Re: Ratcheting Crimper Pliers vs Universal Micro Crimping Pliers PA-09

Post by ipsissimusmarr »

Thank you for the reply. But at the end of the day will there be a difference in the final quality of the crimps? Also, I am still leaning to get the PA-09 because of the smaller gauge, will you be finally restocking soon?

Thank you.

Brocknoviatch

Re: Ratcheting Crimper Pliers vs Universal Micro Crimping Pl

Post by Brocknoviatch »

Could adafruit do a video comparing the two please? Showing how to crimp dupont connectors with both and the results?
I only ask because the Ratcheting crimper gets really bad reviews on the interwebs, however the quality of the one you are selling appears to better.

Here are the reviews:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/cr ... nd-kf2510/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cw9YFLDZeo

Here are the adafruit products:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1213 Ratcheting Crimper Pliers - #18-28 AWG
https://www.adafruit.com/products/350 Universal Micro Crimping Pliers - 1.0 to 1.9mm Size Contacts - PA-09

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

These tools are not the best you can buy and are the "best for the price" we could find. If used carefully they will both make a crimp that will work.

ScottDWebster

Post by ScottDWebster »

I have a ratchet style crimper (Iwiss SN-28B) that I got from Amazon and am finding it not fit for the job of crimping JST XH type (SXH-001T-P0.6) terminals. The "anvil" area is too wide and is crushing parts of the terminal that should be left alone. I think I'm going to need a Engineer crimper - either PA-09 or PA-20.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There are dedicated JST-SH crimpers. These are popular for assembling servo cables. Check with some of the RC hobby shops.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”