Comparing Multimeters

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
frizz

Comparing Multimeters

Post by frizz »

I am trying to decide how much cash for my wife to to sink into a digital multimeter as an anniversary present. Would anyone who has used AdaFruits' multimeters compare them, por favor?

There are only two comparisons:
1) How much better is the the $25 ET1700 than the $15 VIC830?

2) How much better is the the $60 Extech EX330 12-function autoranging than the $25 ET1700?

OK, maybe three comparisons...
BONUS COMPARISON:
How much better is the the $60 Extech EX330 12-function autoranging than the $15 VIC830?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Comparing Multimeters

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I use both the EX330 and the VIC830 regularly. I don't have an ET1700 on my bench so I'll go right for the bonus points. :wink:

The VIC830 is a great basic meter. It is rugged, accurate and capable of all the essential things you need in a meter.

The EX330 is a big step up in features and functionality. It covers the same basic functions as the VIC830 - but with auto-ranging so you don't have to guess at the proper dial setting. It also has capacitance measurement, frequency (very handy if you don't own an oscilloscope!), duty cycle and temperature (K-type thermocouple probe). The non-contact AC voltage detector is a great safety feature for working on AC line circuits too.

For more advice on selecting a meter: http://learn.adafruit.com/multimeters/overview

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”