Got in Trouble with Hakko FX-888D

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
analoger

Re: Got in Trouble with Hakko FX-888D

Post by analoger »

Now I'm thinking what if someone forgot what values they entered, how can they reverse their changes back to the original settings?

The options I was given:

1 - Return it for calibration

2 - Use a tip thermometer which I suspect it will give the accurate measurement unless it's an expensive one probably made for the same brand.

Bot options are impractical and can be avoided if there was a RESET option.
I believe this is a design flaw for having too much control in a little box and missing simple correct option. From system design perspective, if you allow the client to access and control lower level settings and parameters, then a system should offer the option to reverse the settings to the original values, especially when a system makes it easy for new users to screw up.

The equipment works great, very nice, professional and I love it! However I'm a little disappointed for not having such an option. Could be a technical limitation I'm missing? I don't know.

neslekkim

Post by neslekkim »

well, they was asking for advice, instead of saying you wanted to adjust the temp yourown, you should ask for the reset..

For me, I want to know how to reset to factory settings, and calibrate on my own later.

analoger

Post by analoger »

Yup that's what I asked for, how to restore the manufacturer's original settings by means of reset or clear to defaults. Apparently there's no such feature in their design.

neslekkim

Post by neslekkim »

I would hope this means there is a way:
If you reset the unit to factory setting this will not guarantee that the offset to the tip is correct.

analoger

Post by analoger »

You are right, but how? There's nothing about how to do it, not even in the manuals.

And now this triggered me another question, what do they exactly mean by "factory setting" if it does not guarantee the correct temperature? Is that what they saying? Then they store the settings and then calibrate the unit, and the accurate settings are not saved? or they talking about the reverse offset I apply to go back to original temperature reading? If this is the case then it's not a linear thing, and the unit requires calibration again. Now I'm more confused. :mrgreen:

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Factory settings are likely chosen to deliver the right temperature with a factory-fresh standard tip. Different tips and/or oxidation over time will affect the thermal transfer to the tip and ultimately the tip temperature. Absolute temperature accuracy is more of an issue for production environments and work on high-reliability critical circuits. The amount of drift is unlikely to be a factor in most other uses. I calibrate my bench irons because I have the tools to do so. But they were not far off to begin with and haven't changed much over time.

analoger

Post by analoger »

Yeah but I though the unit measures the temperature of the tip through feedback control and adjusts to the desired temperature. It may not be 100% accurate for the reasons you mentioned. It's only a couple of times I used this equipment and resetting to factory's defaults will just work fine.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Well it can't measure the temp exactly at the tip since there are no sensors in the tip itself. It can only measure & control the temp at the point where the tip connects. The temperature drop from there to the working end of the tip may change due to reasons cited above. But not by a lot in a reasonably well maintained iron.

analoger

Post by analoger »

Ok while I'm soldering, I decided to increase the temp but was not paying attention to the current temp, and I entered the change in the adjustment mode, then noticed no change in the temp, it only dropped, so I found it's the wrong mode, then changed the temp again in the normal mode, now cannot remember the numbers I entered...am I screwed up?

The point is if it allows for such a low level control, then it should provide a backup option. And I believe if there's any it would be in the documents.

neslekkim

Post by neslekkim »

at this point, the unit is new, for me, less than one month. Not much tip wear yet, so reset to factory settings should be useful.
I can even put on the delivered tip (In norway they delivered an useless B tip so I did not use it)

modeller

Post by modeller »

Funny, I just bought the previous version - the one with the knob, the "discontinued" model yesterday at Fry's before they are all gone. I did it on purpose because I'd rather just put my fingers on a knob - personal preference. :)

It is a fantastic soldering station.

analoger

Post by analoger »

I should have bought the discontinued version. I never thought they would forget to add RESET feature. Curse you digital! :mrgreen:

modeller

Post by modeller »

analoger wrote:I should have bought the discontinued version. I never thought they would forget to add RESET feature. Curse you digital! :mrgreen:
LOL - right! Just wait - in a few years, the FX-888 will be retro cool - worth twice as much as I paid for it! :lol:

analoger

Post by analoger »

They could add a digital display to the discontinued version instead and keep the knob. OR if they were smarter they could add RESET to original settings. Very Simple! :idea:

analoger

Post by analoger »

One more funny thing, why do they make different tip thermometers one for each C and F? Is it that hard to combine the two options in one either show both readings or use a switch to select C or F? Other thermometers do this.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”