Got in Trouble with Hakko FX-888D

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
analoger

Got in Trouble with Hakko FX-888D

Post by analoger »

Hello,

I wanted to change the temperature but I entered the change in the wrong mode, the temperature adjustment mode, and continued soldering. How can I restore the original default settings?

Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Got in Trouble with Hakko FX-888D

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Follow the steps in section 5 of the user's manual and adjust so that the temperature setting and measured temperature display match.

analoger

Post by analoger »

Yeah but I don't have a tip thermometer, which is more expensive than the soldering station :D
I was expecting some reset mode to restore all the factory's defaults.

adafruit_support_bill

I don't see anything in the documentation. I'll check w/ Hakko.

analoger

Post by analoger »

Thank you very much!

analoger

Post by analoger »

I think I got it solved somehow. The Hakko support told me to readjust the temperature by entering a value minus the change I made previously. So having it adjusted from 250 C to 280 C, the delta was 30, so now I need to adjust it to 220 C. However they suggested a using a tip thermometer in case I made several adjustments to make sure the reversing of these changes works. I'm fine with this.
However would not be useful to have a reset mode that clears any changes to the original manufacturers defaults? Instead of having to buy a thermometer which's more than twice the price of the soldering station just to correct a mistake? Not to mention that the compact design and the two-button control make it very easy to screw up.
Now if I'm supposed to buy the thermometer I could have bought the 951 model and saved myself a lot of headache and money. ;)

neslekkim

Post by neslekkim »

I also managed to do this, the unit us default set up to not use preset method, so I happened to go into tip adjustment mode, and the solder did not melt..
Luckily I have an tip thermometer, but not sure as to how correct it is, but think I got it adjusted correctly, and i have now switched it back to preset mode so i can easily change temperature.

Why on earth did they put tip temperature on the "up" arrow?? (well, it required me to hold it long, but still)

So, if anyone could find out how to reset the unit to factory settings that would have been great, some times still it feels that it does not give me correct temperature, but that could be due to lower mass in the tips I used also though (struggled a bit with an D 0.8 tip when soldering 0603 smd's)

neslekkim

Post by neslekkim »

btw, Hakko have an document portal, https://doc.hakko.com
I registered there, still after almost one month I still haven't gotten access to the site, and if i re-register, it says I'm already registered.
Was hoping for more docs at that site, since it is mentioned in the documents that came with my unit.

adafruit_support_bill

I haven't heard from Hakko yet. But I agree, some sort of factory default reset would be nice. As for tip thermometers, there are less expensive alternatives. The Extech multimeter comes with a thermocouple probe that can be used to measure tip temperatures (and it doubles as a pretty nice multimeter too :wink: ).
We also have the MAX31855 and probes if you want to roll-your-own.

neslekkim

Post by neslekkim »

Yes, I bought an cheap clone of hakko 191, and these sensors: http://www.ebay.com/itm/220785980338
I also bought the MAX31855 breakout here, wanted to try to make one myself, using these sensors if it's possible.
I kinda like this https://www.adafruit.com/products/270 but it is very long, and if I could have weld'ed that myself, I would have made shorter ones that could be used.
To sense temperature on the tip, you need to use solder also, to transfer the heat, so I guess you would destroy that thermocouple very fast.

adafruit_support_bill

You can cut the thermocouple probes. Not sure how the solder affects the longevity - you don't need to calibrate that often. I used one to calibrate my Wellers a few years ago and they have been spot-on every time I have measured them since.

neslekkim

Post by neslekkim »

If I cut the probe, I guess I will have about 80cm with cable I cannot use, would have been cool to reuse that part, but i think I need to weld it somehow.
Maybe put it into my wall-socket and weld it like that.. or mabye not ;)

I know I don't need to adjust so often, and it should not be neccessary for hobby use, but as of now, I have some trouble getting the temperature I want, but it might be due to less thermal mass in the T18 D0.8 tip (Which may also be an clone, since i havent found any reasonable source for those)
I see you have an S4 tip that seems to have more mass, but I'm not comfortable with needle tips, like the chisel, even if small)

analoger

Post by analoger »

It only takes a reset/clear to defaults mode and problem would be solved without going into the headache of calibration using external tools.

I still believe there's a way to restore the defaults but it's not in the document. These people are smart, I don't think they missed it in their design. :)

adafruit_support_bill

Here is the response from Hakko USA:
Your request for information was forwarded to us from the Hakko Japan website. For future reference please go to www.HakkoUSA.com.

Changes in the Temp Adjustment mode will affect the iron’s performance. If you reset the unit to factory setting this will not guarantee that the offset to the tip is correct. The only way to do so is with a tip thermometer. I can offer your customer the option of sending it to us so we can restore the settings. There is a $10 labor fee but I will waive this if him if he would like to send it in.

Please advise how you would like to proceed.

Thanks,

Frank Morales
Customer Service Supervisor
American Hakko Products Inc
Office: 1-800-88-Hakko
Direct Line: 1-661-219-0268

analoger

Post by analoger »

Yup I got this reply from them. I will stick with the first resolution as it seems working.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”