Tekgilent or Agitronix?

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
analoger

Tekgilent or Agitronix?

Post by analoger »

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Tekgilent or Agitronix?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

analoger wrote:Tek DPO2024B
This is a mixed-signal scope, four analog channels and 16 channels worth of logic analyzer. The 1GSa/s rate still gives you five samples per cycle at the highest rated speed (200mHz), which is respectable but not great. This is a good scope for someone who does a lot of digital circuits with some analog stuff on the side.
analoger wrote:Tek TDS2024C
This is a 4-channel analog scope, no logic analyzer. The 2GSa/s rate gives you 10 samples per cycle at the highest speed, which is quite good. This is a good scope for someone who does analog circuits and doesn't need to scan things like I2C signals.
analoger wrote:Agilent DSO1024A
This is another analog scope, but I don't particularly like the 'half-channel bandwidth' business. That means you can get a four-trace display at 1GSa/s per trace, or a two-trace display at 2GSa/s per trace. I'd rate it as slightly inferior to the Tek 24C.
analoger wrote:Agilent DSOX2024A
This one is trying to be the Swiss Army knife of the workbench. It has a built-in signal generator, which is arguably handy. The built-in equivalent to a Bus Pirate and 3-digit voltmeter smell roughly like the built-in transistor tester on cheap multimeters.. there to pad out the features checklist but not something anyone will actually use.

I don't like the fact that I had to go to the datasheet to find the sampling rate, I don't like the fact that the rate is listed as '2GSa/s maximum' because that smells like more 'half-channel' market-weasel speak, and I don't like the number of features that are listed as '(optional)' in the checklist.

Overall it's comparable to the Tek 24B. The function generator might make it slightly more attractive than the Tek, but the promotional materials set my BS detector off so strongly that I'd do a very hard comparison of features and prices before choosing this one.

Now, I wouldn't refuse to put any of them on my bench if someone just handed me one. I have every reason to believe they're all BANNED hardware that will provide excellent service. My personal first pick would be the Tek 24C because I'm more of an analog guy, but the Tek 24B would be a good choice for anyone working with microcontrollers.

analoger

Post by analoger »

My personal first pick would be the Tek 24C because I'm more of an analog guy...
I will be doing more analog than digital stuff...but what worries me is the 2.4 kpts record length, how does it affect the performance or sampling rate, and how much can I record of a signal?

Thanks.

mikeselectricstuff

Post by mikeselectricstuff »

but what worries me is the 2.4 kpts record length,
2.4k is completely inadequate and any scope with that little memory can't be taken seriously, at any price.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”