Best Dremel for Hobby Use

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
TheTinkerer

Best Dremel for Hobby Use

Post by TheTinkerer »

Hello! I'm looking for a dremel rotary tool and can't decide which model to get, whether it's cordless or not, or where the best place to get one is. I have a low budget ($40-$50ish) and any help would be appreciated!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Best Dremel for Hobby Use

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There are similar tools from various manufacturers that all use the same 1/8" shank attachments. Often they are available in kits with a good assortment of bits. Shop around
for the best deal on the tools that fit your needs.

For me, variable speed is an essential feature. Cordless is convenient, but the corded tools have more power and don't slow down as the batteries fade.

zulucat

Post by zulucat »

Check out Harbor Freight. Do a search on the phrase "rotary tool".
http://www.harborfreight.com/

electrocutioner

Post by electrocutioner »

I have 5 or 6 rotary tools from different companies, and what I have found is in general battery powered models are much weaker, more willing to bind or just stop. Having said that, they are convenient in the field, up a ladder, on a boat and elsewhere. Anyway, here's my experience, YMMV, I like Milwaukee for cordless, 12V, battery meter, good power, Lithium batteries last a while. And, they have a nice 90 degree crosscut blade attachment for wood that absolutely flies through wood. That battery also goes into a drill and flashlight and flex-scope.
For corded, Dremel model 4000 is my favorite all around, it's very nice. It spools up nice and slow, has a rotary speed control for infinite adjustments while running, it's the quietest one I've seen and has constant power control so as the bit bites into the piece, the tool steps up the current to maintain speed, which is nice. This model seems to be constructed better than average too, there is very little vibration that numbs your hand after 5 minutes, it is very smooth.
Hope that helps!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”