soldering irong question

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mfleisher

soldering irong question

Post by mfleisher »

I bought a soldering iron from Adafruit a few years back (XYtronic model 258). It's gotten very little use, none of it very successful. I dug into it a little more recently, and I'm a bit confused. I think that the tip is not getting hot enough. I checked a Weller iron at work, and there is a spring loaded contact that the base of the tip comes in contact with. Does the XYtronic have the same mechanism. If so, mine is missing. I think that the base of the tip is not contacting the heating element of the iron. I don't think that the tip gets hot enough to even tin properly.

Thanks for the feedback

adafruit

Re: soldering irong question

Post by adafruit »

There's no spring on these, you can adjust the temperature. Note that it does take a few minutes for these irons to get hot, they're not as fast as a weller! If its still not working, email support@adafruit with a link to this thread and we'll send you a new one :)

mfleisher

Re: soldering irong question

Post by mfleisher »

adafruit, Thanks for the reply. I asked about a spring mechanism, because based on my measurements, the body of the tip is not long enough to bottom out onto the top of the heating element on the inside of the body of the iron. I'll see if I can rig up a thermocouple that goes up to 900 degrees or so and see the temperature of the tip.

cheers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”