Saleae Logic analyzer or DS1052E oscilloscope

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
theaddies

Saleae Logic analyzer or DS1052E oscilloscope

Post by theaddies »

I was wondering which instrument would be the best choice for me, a logic analyzer or an oscilloscope. To date, all of my projects have revolved around the attiny 2313 / 4313. I am expanding my projects to include serial communication and next I2C. Typically I run the tiny's at 1.8432 Mhz to allow for accurate serial communication. If I had to pick one instrument to buy would it be best for me to opt for the logic analyzer? If a logic analyzer, would the 8 channel be suitable for such a chip. I can't seem to imagine scenarios where I would need to analyze 16 channels simultaneously.

Thanks,
Andrew

Franklin97355

Re: Saleae Logic analyzer or DS1052E oscilloscope

Post by Franklin97355 »

I'd buy the scope if it's in your price range.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I agree with Frankin.. the oscilloscope is the more general tool.

The Seleae devices are great (I have one and use it a lot), but they're mostly protocol analyzers. They record HIGH/LOW values really fast, and can translate groups of signals to data values, (these states on the SDA pin while the SKC pin clocks up and down 9 times are I2C byte "0x9C" plus an ACK), but they don't show you noise on the lines unless it's causing spurious HIGH/LOW transitions.

The oscilloscope shows you everything that happens on the signal lines, but a basic one won't do protocol analysis. I generally start probing a troubled circuit with the 'scope to make sure the basic signals are okay, then put it on the protocol analyzer to make sure the signals actually on the bus match what I think should be sent.

neslekkim

Post by neslekkim »

it could be worth waiting for this: http://www.heise.de/hardware-hacks/meld ... 26545.html

spork99

Post by spork99 »

I heard that Saleae's newest offerings will have analog

https://www.saleae.com/

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”