5MP USB Microscope 64 bit compatible?

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tharperidaho

5MP USB Microscope 64 bit compatible?

Post by tharperidaho »

The best capture I can get is the Blue Screen of Death. Here is what my process was:
System is Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium SP1

Plugged in the scope to usb port. Lights go on.
Downloaded the software from the link in the description page.
Ran MicroCapture.exe which let me:
Install microscope driver
Install Microcapture driver
Rebooted system, leaving scope plugged in to usb port.
Ran installed software called "Microcapture_400x" (NOTE: is this the correct software? Noticed that tv camera is a 400x camera. Perhaps this is software for that product?)
Nothing appeared in display area of Microcapture main window. It is a rectangle of grey.
Photo capture results in blue screen of death.

If I go to Devices and Printers, I see the microscope listed as "Vimicro USB 2.0 PC Camera (Venus)" and it's category is webcam.
Driver provider is Vimicro, driver date 4/29/2009, driver verion 300.1000.3001.29. All buttons allowing driver manipulation, e.g. "Update Driver..." are disabled.

Anyone have any ideas or successful results with Win 7, 64 bit?

Cheers,
Tom

tharperidaho

Re: 5MP USB Microscope 64 bit compatible?

Post by tharperidaho »

Fixed.

I uninstalled everything by using the Microcapture.exe program, rebooted, and reinstalled using the CD version of software that came with the camera.
It is *not* clear that was the problem however.

I noticed that the USB port I was using was a USB 3.0 port. I unplugged the microscope from the 3.0 port and plugged it into a 2.0 port. Before I chenged USB ports, Device manager listed the microscope as a Digital microscope under Imaging Devices. After plugging back into the 2.0 port, the device showed up as a USB camera under Other devices with the little yellow warning triangle. I updated the driver to no effect. I unplugged/replugged into the 2.0 port and this time, the microscope once again showed up as an Imaging device called Digital Microscope. This time it worked. Apparently 3.0 backwards compatibility with 2.0 doesn't always mean that devices are backwards compatible. I suppose the next test would be to uninstall and use the software/driver download that I originally installed, but I think I will play with the microscope instead. Nice looking image, especially after pulling my hair out for a few hours trying to find drivers, other software, etc. Is there an Adafruit skill patch for successfully reconfiguring Windows for the zillionth time? Actually, the linux patch would probably obsolete it...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”