? on how the broadcast is put together

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dtownmaker

? on how the broadcast is put together

Post by dtownmaker »

Hello,

I really enjoy the weekly broadcasts and wanted to pass along a compliment as the quality continues to go up, up, and up.

Could you post a brief synopsis of what is used each week to put on the broadcast? For example, are you using the free account with Producer? Or did you need to upgrade to Pro/Studio, etc?

I've been asked to investigate the possiblity of broadcasting some kids sports activities and think I've got a decent start on understanding what is needed, but was curious what tools you all decided to go with to get to the level you are today.

Thanks - Dtownmaker

adafruit

Re: ? on how the broadcast is put together

Post by adafruit »

DtownMaker wrote:Hello, I really enjoy the weekly broadcasts and wanted to pass along a compliment as the quality continues to go up, up, and up. Could you post a brief synopsis of what is used each week to put on the broadcast? For example, are you using the free account with Producer? Or did you need to upgrade to Pro/Studio, etc? I've been asked to investigate the possiblity of broadcasting some kids sports activities and think I've got a decent start on understanding what is needed, but was curious what tools you all decided to go with to get to the level you are today. Thanks - Dtownmaker
thank you for the kind words! we've worked hard on improving the show every week for the last couple years and have always tried to add new tools and services as they've been developed (google+ hangouts for example).

here's our previous overview of what we use:
http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2010/11/08 ... ift-guide/

we now use 2 logitech hd cameras and sometimes our own USB microscope camera:

ours are the older versions of these:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam-co ... ebcam-c920

USB microscope cam we stock and sell:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/636

we use producer pro (not needed, but has some extra features we like). we use a free account on ustream. viewers tend to use an ad blocker, you can also have the viewers pay $4 or something for the year of ad-free. as the broadcaster, it's a few thousands dollars if you want to go ad-free, so we're just going free.

george our video producer records the show and does some editing/graphics and adds the chat, he does an amazing job each week on the recorded video and uploads it to our vimeo pro account.

hope this helps!
adafruit

dtownmaker

Re: ? on how the broadcast is put together

Post by dtownmaker »

Thanks so much. All of that information validates the direction I was going. I'm looking forward to this evening's broadcast. Hopefully my 9yr daughter can stay awake this week!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”