Electret Microphone - Record at highest fidelity?

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
verygrimm

Electret Microphone - Record at highest fidelity?

Post by verygrimm »

Hi,

I was going to post this question in your "other products" forum, but then thought that it might be an interesting question for "Ask an Engineer!".

The question: Using adafruit products, how can I acquire the highest fidelity recording from an Electret Microphone?

Disclaimer: I am a novice hobbyist.

I have a project where I want to compare readings from multiple microphones. I purchased three "Electret Microphone Amplifier - MAX4466 with Adjustable Gain", but after reading through the tutorials, and some of your forum posts, it seems that with an Arduino or Raspberry Pi, I can really only hope to get about 4000 samples per second. Apparently I lose a lot of data at that rate. According to a post by adafruit_support_rick (in this thread http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... ne#p191059), to read a 20-20KHz electret microphone at high fidelity, I would need to sample it at least 40,000 times per second. Which of your products can I use to acquire and save the best recording possible?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Electret Microphone - Record at highest fidelity?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Here is a sketch for sampling at up to 100KHz (8-bit) or 60KHz (10 bit): http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 7&p=153175

verygrimm

Post by verygrimm »

Perfect! Thank you.

fourfaith

Post by fourfaith »

F8913 ZigBee moduleprovides data transfer function by ZigBee network. It supports serial port that can conveniently and transparently connect one device to a ZigBee network, allowing you to connect to your existing serial devices with only simple configuration .

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”