Indium Tin Oxide Coated PET Plastic capacitive touch?

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Knappster

Indium Tin Oxide Coated PET Plastic capacitive touch?

Post by Knappster »

Hi,

I'm trying to recreate some LCARS panels from Star trek: TNG but I'd like them to actually be functional. The easiest way to create them is to apply cut vinyl to the back of a plexiglass panel to outline the buttons and then colour them by sticking coloured tracing paper over each button. This is then back lit.

I'm wondering if sticking a sheet of ITO coated plastic on the back of each button then wired to a microcontroller with good capacitive touch capabilities like the MSP430's using some copper tape would work. Has anyone played with the ITO plastic much?

I hope I'm explaining this well. I can't find anyone else that's tried to use this stuff for capacitive touch stuff. Might be something I'd just have to try myself but I don't want to waste money on stuff if it isn't going to work.

Any ideas? Thanks,

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Indium Tin Oxide Coated PET Plastic capacitive touch?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I have not tried it with the ITO sheets, but I don't see why it would not work. You may also want to check out our new capacitive touch breakouts: http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... tive+touch

Spring_Edwin

Re: Indium Tin Oxide Coated PET Plastic capacitive touch?

Post by Spring_Edwin »

I'm actually looking for a Senior Project Manager for a manufacturing company of ITO Touch Screens, to be located in China... Interested in the job?
See more info; http://www.springasia.com/en-GB/Pages/j ... jobPageNo=

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”