32x16 or 32x32 RGB LED Matrix on RasPi

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
estenicknolotienen

32x16 or 32x32 RGB LED Matrix on RasPi

Post by estenicknolotienen »

Hi there!

I whant to start my first Raspi project and my idea is make somelike a musicbox server with spotify. Mi idea is put the raspy in a plastic box and in one side put this led matrix of adafruit. So I have some question before buying it, if please can someone answer me:

1. You are all talking about Androino in the specs and tutorial page of the led matrix, can I use this in a raspberry Pi model B? Is it more simple working with this in Raspi than in Arduino? To difficult for a noob like me?

2. If is ok with Raspi. How difficult could be , make the led matrix dance/pulse with the music? Changing colors and speeds while the song is streaming? Is that possible? Or I'm asking too much?

Please, I think it will be a great project.
best.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: 32x16 or 32x32 RGB LED Matrix on RasPi

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You can certainly run either matrix from a R Pi. They require 12 or 13 digital pins (6 bit data, 6 or 7 bit control) for the interface, so the R Pi has more than enough GPIO pins.

Unfortunately, we do not have any R Pi code available for these displays. Our libraries are all written for Arduino. You would have to write your own driver code for the Pi.
estenicknolotienen wrote:How difficult could be , make the led matrix dance/pulse with the music? Changing colors and speeds while the song is streaming? Is that possible?
It is possible. You would need an algorithm to sample and analyze the music stream, and another algorithm to generate the display patterns. These algorithms could be relatively simple or they could be extremely complex, depending on how simple or complex you want the display to appear.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”