Mintyboost dilemma

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jr10

Mintyboost dilemma

Post by jr10 »

I just finished a project that incorporated your Minty Boost. I have a LiPo 3.2V prismatic battery powering your USB/DC Lithium Polymer battery charger 5-12V controller. From this I power your Minty Boost. I have 3.8V going in and a tested 5.0V at the USB port. Even with the 5V my Iphone 5 does not recognize it. I have the identical setup in another project, and it works fine.Can someone help me find what I am missing here?
Thank you in advance for your time.
Regards,
Jay

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Mintyboost dilemma

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I have 3.8V going in and a tested 5.0V at the USB port.
Have you measured the voltages with the phone connected? Is there any drop?

Try shorting the D+/D- pins on the USB connecter (see the last step of the assembly instructions).

TheCrazyCordero

Post by TheCrazyCordero »

I am having the same problem. I have plugged in my solar cell, minty boost, and my battery into my charger. The green LED light that is supposed to show on the charger when it is done is not lighting up but the red and yellow LED lights are which indicate that the battery is charging. I have plugged in into the wall to see if it would work and about 4 hours later the green LED lit up but when i plugged in my iphone 6s it never showed up that it was charging. Any suggestions?

adafruit_support_bill

I am having the same problem. I have plugged in my solar cell, minty boost, and my battery into my charger.
If you have a solar cell, then this is a completely different problem. Please post details of all the components you are using.

TheCrazyCordero

Post by TheCrazyCordero »

MintyBoost Kit - v3.0
USB / DC / Solar Lithium Ion/Polymer charger - v2
Polymer Lithium Ion Battery - 2000mAh
Solar Cell Small - 0.45W

adafruit_support_bill

These components are a bit undersized for charging something as power-hungry as an iPhone 6s.

With a 0.45W solar cell, it would take at least 20 hours of full mid-day sun to fully charge a 2000mAh LiPo. It would take longer under less than ideal solar conditions.

You iPhone is going to need at least 500mA to charge. To get 500mA @ 5v, you will need to supply about 800mA @3.7v (assuming about an 85% boost efficiency). That is pushing the limits of what your LiPo can provide. The 'standard' discharge rate for that cell is ~500mA. Although it can be discharged at higher rates, the battery lifetme (number of recharge cycles) will be reduced and you should expect it to get fairly warm during use.

With the phone not connected, are you getting 5v output from the MintyBoost?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”