GPS spoofing for diverting a stalker

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
esteban macabre

GPS spoofing for diverting a stalker

Post by esteban macabre »

I have a long complicated question involving stalking and gps. Here goes. My mother runs a group for abused and battered women (not far from MIT) and has presented me this problem. The group is women only and in an undisclosed location for the protection of the women involved. Some of these women are still involved with their assailants either because of fear of their own safety or that of their children. Some of them are being tracked by these less then desirable individuals via cell phone gps. The option of leaving the cell somewhere doesn't seem to be viable. Many of the participants are not technically knowledgeable.
Is there a way to "spoof" or redirect the gps signal temporarily so these people can get the help they need? After watching the TED talk by Todd Humphreys I thought someone here might be able to help her. I myself live in Los Angeles but my much smarter electrical engineer little brother lives not far from there and can help with this. That being said neither him or I am allowed the location or participation in the workshop but can help outside of there. My suggestions were to forward calls and texts to a "burner" phone and leave the gps tracked phone someplace safe or to use the old "I was in IKEA". Any help would be much appreciated. Feel free to contact me directly.
[email protected]
Thank you, Steve
I'll buy you several rounds at the Miracle of Science next time I'm in town

adafruit_support_bill

Re: GPS spoofing for diverting a stalker

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

How about a GPS blocking phone case? http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2 ... your-phone
Actually, most any metal box, can or even wrapping it in foil will temporarily block the signal.
I'll buy you several rounds at the Miracle of Science next time I'm in town
One of my favorite haunts in my (ahem) younger days. :wink:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”