Can't communicate with AR1100

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jrg_85

Can't communicate with AR1100

Post by jrg_85 »

Hi,

I'm trying to work with the AR1100 4-Wire resistive touch controller http://www.adafruit.com/products/1580. I have downloaded the configuration app and installed the Windows driver. However, the configuration app can't seem to communicate with it.

I am only getting an error:

"Error: Could not change mode to HID. Verify the AR1100 is properly attached"

I can use the touch screen though and move the cursor around and click on things. Am I not able to use this app with the Adafruit board? Any help would be appreciated.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Can't communicate with AR1100

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Please post clear detailed pictures of both sides of the AR1100. Also include a picture showing your connections

brubru

Post by brubru »

Hi!

I have the same problem. I tried everything. Did you find a solution?

adafruit_support_rick

Please post clear detailed pictures of both sides of the AR1100. Also include a picture showing your connections

cmex81

Post by cmex81 »

brubru wrote:Hi!

I have the same problem. I tried everything. Did you find a solution?
I've found solution, link: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=55104

rootscript

Post by rootscript »

Yes - I have exactly the same problem too. It would be great if Adafruit support could look into this, please.

As you can see from the Adafruit photo, There isn't really much chance of not connecting it up properly:
You can pretty much just plug and play to get started, for more details including calibration software, check out the AR1100 page. Plug any 1mm-pitch 4-wire resistive touchscreen to the on-board FPC connector, when you plug into a computer's USB port you should see a new device and touching the screen will cause the mouse cursor to move around. (Adafruit product page)
I'm using the Resistive Touchscreen Overlay - 7" diag. 165mm x 105mm - 4 Wire - link to product page but not having success with 'just plug and play', and get the same issue when trying to use the software linked to from the product page: "Error: Could not change mode to HID. Verify the AR1100 is properly attached"
Please post clear detailed pictures of both sides of the AR1100 (adafruit_support_rick)
I will post some pictures of the board if you really need them, are there different revisions of this board already?

rootscript

Post by rootscript »

Hello, I would really appreciate some help/support.
The 7" screen & AR1100 that I bought direct from Adafruit are sitting here unused, and there seems to be no response from Adafruit. Has this one just slipped through the net?

Maybe this thread can be moved to the "SUPPORTED PRODUCTS & PROJECTS" forum where it can be seen.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Since you have only two posts on this thread go ahead and start a new one in other adafruin products. I will see if anyone has any ideas or has seen this before.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Did you look at this thread to see if it was of any help? viewtopic.php?f=45&t=55104

rootscript

Post by rootscript »

Hello Franklin (thanks for your reply),
I just posted in the Other Adafruit Products forum, here:
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=55916

I saw the other post that you linked to, it seems that he got it working through Virtual Box. I would rather get it working through Windows directly, this seems to just be a bug (or problem with the driver), or maybe lack of information on how to use the config tool (possibly some funny caveat).
Also, I didn't really understand what that guy did in Virtual Box. It seems a bit long winded to have to use a Virtual Box of Windows in Windows to get a driver working, that should work in the first place (Maybe I am understanding it wrong).

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

Hiya, we think this might be just the software they provide being not-so-awesome. We finally wrote a tutorial (yeah we know, we wanted to do thsi months ago...time slipped from us :) can you check it out?

https://learn.adafruit.com/ar1100-resis ... ller-guide

7raXter

Post by 7raXter »

I also have the same problem. Just bought a #2260 5inch with Backpack, but the Touchscreen is horrible! It comes configured in Generic HID mode, but it seems the driver is totally broken. Tested on three different PCs with WinXP, Win7 and Win8, in all three of them the configuration utility first detects the device, also that it connects in Generic HID mode, then disconnects because the driver is being installed, and then DEAD - nothing. Reconnecting the USB doesn't help. Removing the driver (including uninstallation of it) and reconnecting USB you see the AR conf utility again finds AR1100, but as soon as the driver is installed it says "removed" and then "Verify the AR1100 is properly attached"

You can't switch mode or calibrate this brick. Frustrating! Can't simply use it this thing now.

Is there any solution out there, a fixed driver maybe? I mean, people report this bug already since 1 year ago in a lot of threads...refunding it would be a pain :(

adafruit_support_rick

Try manually installing the driver from Device Manager. Don't let the plug-in hardware wizard do it.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

7raxter are you using a raspberry pi or similar or going to be using windows only?

rootscript

Post by rootscript »

adafruit2 wrote:Hiya, we think this might be just the software they provide being not-so-awesome. We finally wrote a tutorial (yeah we know, we wanted to do thsi months ago...time slipped from us :) can you check it out?
https://learn.adafruit.com/ar1100-resis ... ller-guide
Wow, it's been such a long time (about a year). The AR1100 board & touch screen have been unused since purchase (lost in a pile of boxes).
If I ever find all that stuff, I will check out this late tutorial (better late than never, your list of things to do must be very long now), but much appreciated anyway.
:)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”